Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting steel parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my concerns about building is the steel parts rusting before I can finish it enough to paint it. I don’t have a climate controlled shop so am worried about humidity. Is this a concern or an I worrying to much.

Comment

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a book called "construction of tubular steel fuselages" by Vex Aviation. I was reading about what they recommended, they pointed out that as you know steel will rust very quickly after sand blasted especially if it is a humid atmosphere. Their get around for this was to clean it with a dry cloth immediately after sand blasting and spraying a light coat of zinc chromate. This would stabilize the surface then it could be painted with the epoxy for a more durable coat. This is a really good and through book on steel tubular fuselages. If anyone is interested in getting one the ISBN number is 978-0-9774869-0-2. And of course they recommended only doing a small section at one time. So you would need everything ready to go, all the paint, cleaning equipment and the sand blasting equipment.

Coat your steel parts with Dykem. I did some parts years ago, still no rust. Wash it off with acetone when your ready to weld/assenble. Works great and cheap. Moisture doesn't get through it.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
    X