Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFC-50 treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFC-50 treatment

Well the weather has changed here in the NW so time to spray some primer outside. The only AL items I have to prime are the ailerons and flaps. When I owned an all metal certified airplane, I had it treated with AFC-50 corrosion treatment. Has anyone tried that with fabric covered ailerons and flaps? Deleting primer might save a little counterweight on the ailerons and a ton of work overall. Lots of parts to prime in those assemblies. Not sure what the AFC-50 would do to the fabric.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

I would use caution. The fabric gets glued to the structure. I used Stewarts System. Stewarts glue uses a mechanical bond to adhere the fabric to the structure and so it needs to be clean, dry and free of contaminants then scuffed with abrasive. Something like ACF-50 would likely prevent the glue from bonding properly.

I also wonder if ACF50 would soak through the fabric.
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-14-2023, 08:34 PM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

My thoughts were to do the fogging after covering. But I'm liking the idea less and less.

Comment

IMG_0526.jpg CorrosionX is a similar product to ACF-50. attached is the product data sheet. Not sure i would use it on a fabric covered part.

Comment

Just checked over at Supercub.org. seems like several people use these products successfully on ceconite covered planes with no apparent issues.

Comment

Working...
          X