Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control stick torque tube support spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control stick torque tube support spacing

I have a quickbuild kit from 2015 (yeah, I already know I should be done by now). I ran into a problem trying to mount the torque tube for the control sticks. I could install the tube on one of the rod end bearings, but the other wouldn't line up. On page 29 of the plans it shows a spacing of 28 3/4". My torque tube appears to have the correct spacing, but the spacing on the fuselage is about 28 5/8". That's way to much discrepancy to easily fix as near as I can tell. Has anyone run into this, or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I don't have any welding capability, but it appears that's going to be required unless I'm missing something.

UPDATE:
    Mark called me with the solution to this problem (Thanks Mark!). The rear rod end bearing mount is on a horizontal frame member of the fuselage. According to Mark, you "tap" on the cross member to move it into the correct position. In my case I needed to move it aft about 1/8". In practice the "tapping" involved swinging a 10 pound sledge a foot or two into the frame while my wife held the airframe to keep it from taking off on me. I started more gently, but the hammer just bounced off the frame. That is one tough structure. Even with the bigger swings it took quite a few "taps", but it definitely did the trick, and I have the control stick assembly installed now. According to Mark another builder came up with this fix and it was approved by Bob.
    Last edited by NorCalScott; 06-01-2020, 08:16 PM.

So its .125 off. When I installed mine things were tight. Meaning the bearings were tight and resistance was high.

The threaded fitting for the rod end bearing is on a fuselage cross bar at station D. I put a block of wood on the cross tube snugged next to the fitting then gave it (what I will call) a calibrated whack with a 1 pound dead blow hammer. I may have also put some tension on it with a ratchet strap carefully paced and carefuly tightened. I was able to get it lined up perfectly once tightened and whacked.

My Calibrated whack was measured. I'd back the hammer up 6 inches and whack the wood block. not enough....lets try 8 inches......it moved a little, try a second, third time. got it. I did this so that I did not move it too far.

I cant imagine the factory getting that fitting exactly in place to give you zero friction. Tolerances are way too tight.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• NorCalScott
      NorCalScott commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like I'm the only one that didn't think to use a hammer to fix this. I don't usually think of "hammer", "airplane", and "good idea" all at the same time.

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      The factory now fits all these parts to the fuselage before painting to make sure it all is aligned properly. Mark
Working...
X