Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol prop governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol prop governor

Is anyone using a prop governor that doesn’t require modification to the firewall with rear mount on an o-360?

I went with a front mount governor to avoid that problem and the required hoses.

Comment

The photo below is Bob Barrows Patrol. He is using a Jihostroj Gonvenor. I have one also on my engine and it needs no firewall modification but comes close to the fire wall....3/4 inch? They are made in Czech republic and common on experimental aircraft. The PCU5000 governors are the same unit. When I got mine it was available directly from Jihostroj via an online order.

The Hartzell Governor requires firewall mod. It might be smart to put a round SS inspection hole in the firewall so it can be removed for service without removing the engine. But I dont look forward to cutting a big hole is SS.

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 7.28.27 PM.png
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I've seen a stainless steel salad bowl from Walmart used in the firewall to provide room for a prop governor.
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I appreciate the input, I'll either go with the pcu5000 or use what I have and go to Walmart.

Comment

If anyone is interested, I just bought a Jihostroj governor for my patrol from Whirlwind propeller. They are a distributor, and had the governor in stock. I had been looking for a while, and couldn’t find anyone that actually had them in stock, but yesterday whirlwind did. Im not affiliated with them in any way, but I know finding things in stock can be a challenge these days.

Comment

• noema
              noema commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you have a part number?

• Viking
              Viking commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry for the slow response, I just saw this somehow. The P/N for the governor I ordered is P-920-032/A. From the Jihostroj website, and what I've managed to find elsewhere on the internet, that's the one I need fo my engine

This is what I am ordering for a Lycoming YO-360-A1A and a Hartzell Tailblazer prop. Will let you know if it works out.
            • Jihostroj P-920-032/A
            • pressure to INCREASE
            • Takeoff RPM 2700
            • Takeoff power at 320deg (all in, low pitch)
            • CCW (to increase pitch, pull prop control)
            • 866:1 gear ratio
            Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Working...
            X