Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol instrument panel: vertical or canted? Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol instrument panel: vertical or canted? Opinions?

It looks like the kit instrument panel might accommodate the top skin better if it’s canted forward. Either way, I will need to adjust the angle of the top flange since the angle needs to change for the sides vs the top. I notice the top sheet is cut in a curve, perhaps to enable canting the panel. That would provide a bit of a glare shield. Have others done this? If you did or did not do this, how are the sight lines? I’m a fairly tall (6’) person. Looking for recommendations from those who travel ahead of me. Thanks.

My panel is vertical, which is the way it came from Mark. I see no reason to change it. It only took a few minutes with a seamer, straight edge and a fluting tool to adjust the flange.The tight radius at the edges of the panel did require a couple of flutes. As for an eyebrow, I currently have 2", which seemed reasonable at the time. Not totally sure if it will stay that long, but it is easier to cut it off than put it on...
    Patrol QB #312
    Buchanan Airfield
    Concord, CA

Comment

Thanks Lee. Interestingly, my top boot cowl has concave curves cut front and back. The narrowest portion (the center) is just long enough to extend from the firewall to the instrument panel. All four corners would need to be trimmed substantially. I hope I’m not missing something vital here…

B7A0329E-1804-4F53-8F5E-D4C248B848E7.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pbruce; 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM.

Comment

My panel is fairly inclined as supplied in my kit and I’m glad it is. I’m 6’4” tall and a pure
        vertical panel
        would be much harder to read. I made my boot cowl from scratch so the supplied one was not a limiting factor.

Comment

PBruce, mine was as you described. There wasn't enough material at the center of the top boot cowl piece to make more than about a 1/4 inch glareshield overhang so I cut the whole piece flush with the panel. I can add a glareshield piece later - or not.
          Pete
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I felt like the glare shield added more risk than benefit, but then again I don't fly at night.

Comment

The edge hazard would need to be dealt with, for sure. Not sure how effective a 2” glareshield would be anyway in the real world. I guess it would keep direct sunlight off the 7” EFIS at some angles. Im inclined to cut it off and I’ll decide tomorrow whether to go with a vertical or tilted panel. Thanks all.

Comment

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking the glare shield was more to keep the instrument panel lights off of the windshield at night, but I suppose there may be some utility in the day time at certain sun angles. I never missed having one in our blue plane.

I fabricated new pieces for the top panel and left the extra just because I could. Not sure it is staying. That edge sticking out is a bit concerning, as has been pointed out by some who have seen it. Not sure the benefits warrant it.
              Patrol QB #312
              Buchanan Airfield
              Concord, CA

Comment

Working...
              X