Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QB Atrol elevator counterweights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Atrol elevator counterweights

My early 2020 Patrol kit has lead bars molded into the elevator horns. (Thanks Avipro). Can anyone tell me if that is the correct amount of weight assuming medium covering and a standard Stewarts System finish? If more weight needed, how would you add it once the elevator is covered? Thanks
    Last edited by Pbruce; 04-19-2024, 08:15 AM.

I would be interested as well! I did see that one builder used lead rope (available in various diameters) and inserted the required amount into the end of the elevator tube to complete the balance. Seemed like a good way to do it with minimal impact to the covering. I suppose you could also do external weights screwed into the tubing if the mass required is not large? Another thought may be to preemtively add weight to the existing lead and drill out the excess after cover? Anyway, just a few of my thoughts about it!

Cheers (Dave, from Maine)

Comment

Thanks. It’s got to be close, because the elevators are hanging horns down, trailing edges up without the covering or trim rods. I’m going to estimate the weight of the covering and paint and then add a slurry of epoxy and lead shot if required. (Mark G’s recommendation).

Comment

Do you happen to know how the lead pour from AviPro is retained within the elevator. The plans call for rivets throught the tubing but have not seen any pictures of that except those associated with the ailerons weighted tubes. Did you somehow secure the factory pour within the elevator horn by any additional method?

Comment

• spinningwrench
          spinningwrench commented
          Editing a comment
          I welded plates on to form a pocket and filled it with lead. Did an estimate for amount required. I’ll send you a picture
      Working...
      X