Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angle of attack indicator usefulness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dedgemon View Post
    One thing that is really needed with the dynon system is a remote indicator. Looking at the panel is less than optimal during landing. A bigger indicator up on top of the glare sheild would help quite a bit.
    I just rely on the audio annunciated alerts, I practically never look at the panel in the final stages of landing.

Comment

• CurtisM
      CurtisM commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that the audio alert is the way to go. I have the Dynon system installed in my plane and it works flawlessly whether on short final or out doing a tight turn around a point. It will let me know thru the headset that I either need to release the stick pressure or add throttle.

Yeah, I dont either. Once I pull power and start the flare, I quit looking at the airspeed or anything else on the panel. Typically on the '8, I dont get any audio AOA tones until I'm rolling out. Of course I'm mostly wheel landing it, so I'm well above stall.

I think if I had a remote AOA display that was mounted higher up in the windscreen, I would refer to it during the flare.

I did have a flight a couple of years ago where the AOA went off on final, this never happens so I pushed and landed at seemingly a too high airspeed. Turns out the static was disconnected and the airspeed was reading about 8 knots too high. Having the AOA was worth its cost that day as a double check.
    David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

Take a look at February (check out the cover!) and March 2013 issues of "Experimenter". There's some nice background on the various applications of AoA.
      I personally think Icon Aircraft has the most intuitive AoA indicator bar none, but if I were ready to install something tomorrow I'd go with the Belite mechanical system and put stickers next to the LEDs at best range, stall clean and stall dirty.

Experimenter is a magazine created by EAA for people who build airplanes. We will report on amateur-built aircraft as well as ultralights and other light aircraft.

Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

Since I have never had an AOA instrument in over 50 years of flying, I have a hard time believing I really need one. At this point, however, my flying is mostly for fun, so I may as well have one of these to play with, I guess. Since I need to make a choice before closing the wing, I think I'll go with the Advanced Flight Systems Sport and the Dynon combo pitot and AOA sensor probe; the L shaped one. My plan is to mount the probe inside of the strut on the left wing of my LSA. I plan to mount the probe on an inspection plate and place the probe far enough forward and inboard of the strut to be in clean air.

I talked to AFS and they claim that both the Pro and Sport models function the same; only the display is different. I think the Sport display will be fine for my use, and easier to mount close to my line of sight down the left side of the fuselage when landing. I'll probably only use the aural warning more than the display anyway, I think. BTW, AFS claims that the accuracy and consistency is the same with the Dynon probe as it is with the holes drilled in the top and bottom of the wing leading edge. They say they have both mounted on their demo plane and there is no difference. Frankly, I would have thought the probe would be less accurate and consistent. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bway View Post
          Since I have never had an AOA instrument in over 50 years of flying, I have a hard time believing I really need one.
          Hi Bob,

Real world AOA example from last month:
          I had to pull a low speed reversal turn, after failing to out-climb an obstacle after take-off. I was near the limits of the envelope, in terms of a high AoA turn approaching the stall angle at 65kts. I was really pulling hard with very steep bank angle. It was really nice to know exactly how close I was to stalling, and how much I had left in reserve - or to put it another way, that I had something in reserve. I have never before had to "push the envelope" in a steep turn, so I didn't have a feel for how far I could pull back before it let go.

I never thought I would get into that situation, but things got uncomfortable faster than I could have foreseen due to an invisible wind shear layer due to a fresh sea breeze. It was calm on the ground. The AOA indication made a huge difference to my ability to make good decisions, when things got outside my normal flying parameters.

Comment

I ordered the AFS Sport system with the L type pitot from Dynon. In 50+ years of flying, I have had some experiences which would have probably been less stressful with an AOA system. Now that my reflexes are not what they once were, I'll take all the help I can get and feel good about it. In fact, I can remember some low IFR approaches in lots of turbulence where the airspeed excursions were pretty extreme and I'm wondering if they might have been easier with an AOA indicator. I guess the AOA indicator would have varied a lot too though, so it would still be mostly attitude and power management. Those days are over for me though. At age 71, I've decided to be an LSA guy from here on out. Thanks for the help. Bob

Comment

After receiving the mount for the L shaped Dynon Pitot, I changed my mind and decided to go with the boom type pitot with the AOA port. I think it will be easier to install. Tricia at Advanced Flight Systems was very easy to work with and very knowledgeable. Bob

Comment

Working...
              X