Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Five Plans #5053

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk Five Plans #5053

I have been gradually working on my Bearhawk 5 for about a year now and am indebted to the many contributors here and on Youtube. There have been many times where I referred to someone else's build log to find just the picture I needed to clear up a question on the plans or forms so I am going to try to start documenting here to hopefully be able to pay it forward.

My progress is not quite as fast as I would like but between family and work it has been challenging to put the necessary time into the Bearhawk.
    To add to that, the O-320 in my Cherokee decided it was time to start making metal and I have had to pick up a second part time job to cover the cost of the overhaul. I guess I cannot really blame it since it was last overhauled 52 years ago but the timing could have been better. I found metal (magnetic) in the screen at the oil change just before my checkride, after discussing it with 3 A&Ps I am friends with we determined that I "should" pull a cylinder immediately but since I already had my checkride scheduled in a week I shouldn't do much more damage if I could keep the time under 10 hours and re-check the screen. I passed my checkride on July 24 and as I was filling out IACRA I realized that it was 2 years to the day from when I had started flight training. Total flight time including my checkride was 4.5hr and as anticipated the amount of metal hadn't changed, I pulled a cylinder and found the expected lifter spalling..

PXL_20220727_002643153.jpg

PXL_20220814_021443676.jpg

Even though it is taking longer than I would like, I am looking at the build as a journey rather than the end goal so I am just enjoying the opportunity to learn new skills and apply the ones I already have.

Everything in this first post is documented in my EAA build log, but I am going to give a very brief overview of where I am and how I got here.

After researching options, I chose to use the router method for cutting the wing ribs. For me, this was a learning opportunity since I am not a woodworker. I was previously a welder by trade so woodworking is a bit of a black magic to me. My wife (who is wonderfully supporting) even was skeptical since the last project I built out of wood was a shooting bench built out of scrap pallets and I used a chainsaw for all the cuts.

Since the router method actually requires a router, my first step was to get one.. I purchased one off of Craigslist and after fighting chatter issues with the router discovered that it had a bent shaft. I then purchased a Dewalt DW618 and mounted it to my welding table. This solved several problems, 1. It is not in the way, 2. Chatter is much reduced (my welding table is made out of 1/2" steel plate), 3. I have plenty of working area for routing the forms. A win all the way around!!

PXL_20220611_024322632.jpg
    I took a tip from N3UW and bought a 1/2 flush trim bit in addition to the 1/4" up-cut bit, I then replaced the 1/2" bearing with a 3/8 bearing and used that for trimming my form blocks. I also found that the best way of making consistent holes was to cut 1/8" undersize with the fly cutter and then route the last 1/8" of hole diameter. The final step was to route a 45 chamfer am pressing my flanges.

PXL_20220612_185839802.jpg

I traced and rough cut all of the .025" ribs, I placed a flap or aileron blank in between each nose rib and center rib. Any strip of material 1" or wider is saved for making stiffeners. Rough cutting was achieved with snips,

PXL_20220613_015458965.jpg

I discovered that my snips were scratching the material so I ground and polished the bolts that hold them together. Thankfully I was able to offset the finish cut and miss the scratches that were already in the material. I am now more vigilant but recommend polishing any new tool prior to using it.

PXL_20220614_001819493.jpg

When drilling the nose ribs I had issues with holes wandering so I purchased drill bushings used by cabinet makers for making drill jigs, Using these in my master cutting jig I can much more accurately drill the holes. I also took some brass stock that I had and turned brass pins that were .001 less than the drill bushing. They are a tight fit but work wonderfully for accurately aligning and pressing flanges.

PXL_20221107_020219060.jpg
    PXL_20221113_040618069.jpg

I had a rubber stall mat that was on my shop floor when I moved in so I cut it into 12" squares and figured that I would try to use it for forming the wing ribs. A good friend of mine has a very well equipped shop and has a hydraulic press that I can use, unfortunately the hydraulic ram began leaking part way through and I was only able to form half of the nose ribs.
    I experimented a bit since I had six squares of mat, I found that using 2 squares (1.5") gave the best results, I was forming both holes in the nose rib at the same time. My eldest son was very helpful and ran the hydraulic press for all 15 that I did. The mat worked well and similar can be purchased at the local farm store for about $65 which is considerably less than the recommended polyurethane.

PXL_20230102_015113687.jpg

PXL_20230102_020654397.jpg

lubrication was provided by the leaking hydraulic ram and WD-40 applied to each of the rib blanks prior to forming.

PXL_20230102_015858228.jpg

I experimented by starting with a smaller flange but I was able to get a 3/8" flange by using a form block flange length of .525" as recommended by SpruceForest​ in his wonderfully detailed document.

PXL_20230102_034628774.jpg

That is current progress to date, it sure doesn't seem like much when I put it all down here but it is slowly adding up!
    Last edited by Redneckmech; 01-02-2023, 10:46 AM.
    Bill Duncan
    Troy, Idaho
    Bearhawk Five Scratchbuild - Plans #5053
    N53BD - reserved
    Builders-Log

Nice post, May I ask what size of press you are using? Seem like you are set up correctly. You could really punch parts quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Newton View Post
      Nice post, May I ask what size of press you are using? Seem like you are set up correctly. You could really punch parts quickly.
      It is a 25 ton OTC press. Once I got the hang of it and got my form-block dialed in they went pretty fast.
      Bill Duncan
      Troy, Idaho
      N53BD - reserved
      Builders-Log

Comment

WOW, that is impressive
        N678C
        https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
        Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Thats the industry best practice for EAB builder to make ribs...
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 01-08-2023, 09:42 AM. Reason: speling
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
            Thats the industry best practice for EAB builder to make ribs...
            That it is, I am indebted to everyone that has taken the time to post on the topic. I have spent many hours researching and developing a plan based on the methods that have been presented by Chris in Milwaukee, N3UW, SpruceForest and countless others here and on other forums.
            Bill Duncan
            Troy, Idaho
            N53BD - reserved
            Builders-Log

Comment

A bit more progress this week!

With the leak, I don't think the press had been making full pressure so the ribs required a bit of adjusting to lie flat on the table. Since the closest major supply store is 45 miles away and I did not want to make the trip, I walked around the shop scratching my head trying to figure out any hardwood I might have to make a bob-stick out of. After wasting time wandering aimlessly I found a busted axe handle that I had been saving for just this sort of occasion.
              PXL_20230102_175316242.jpg
              Before:
              PXL_20230102_181644015.jpg
              After:

PXL_20230102_201439966.jpg

PXL_20230103_022046172.jpg

The next step was to form the edge flanges, I previously had added the recesses to form the flutes into my formblock and used them for forming the initial flute. I found that a 6" extention for my 1/4" ratchet worked perfectly.

PXL_20230111_045046077.jpg

I had two ribs that slipped in the vise while I was hammering the flanges and were scratched (ya think I would learn the first time....) I tried lightly polishing the scratches out with a fine surface conditioning belt but I was not satisfied with the results:

PXL_20230111_044940202.jpg

PXL_20230111_044953487.jpg

I am also getting some light scratching from handling the aluminum, moving forward I am going to try to leave the plastic in place until after I have all flanges complete.

It sure is nice to see parts coming along!

PXL_20230111_044907430.jpg

Next was to shift back to deburring the center ribs:

I am using a fine surface conditioning belt on my 2"x72" belt grinder and it makes very short work of any burrs and leaves a well polished surface:

I am running the belt pretty slow at about 20% on my VFD which equates to about 1000 SFPM.

Before:

PXL_20230109_003746469.jpg
              After:

PXL_20230109_003711763.jpg
              Last edited by Redneckmech; 01-11-2023, 12:16 AM.
              Bill Duncan
              Troy, Idaho
              N53BD - reserved
              Builders-Log

Comment

More progress, and learning opportunities :)

Good news first:

I finished all Aileron nose ribs, after some tweaking of my formblock they turned out exactly per the fullsize drawing in my plans!

When I initially created my formblock I had apparently not been precisely on the line. This resulted in the flange being 1/32" long on one edge of the aileron nose rib and 1/32 short on the other while the rib was 1/32" too tall. I was, however, able to modify my formblock and reshape the blanks so all well ends well. Here is the second time trimming them and how much I removed:
                PXL_20230116_011054468.jpg
                I used the tip from the planelady as suggested by SpruceForest and cut up a scotchbrite disk and fitted it on my Dremel for de-burring (I highly recommend). I got 3 of them from Ebay for $12 so I have two extra remaining for other tasks.

PXL_20230116_003803894.jpg

I had already formed two parts but was able to re-place them on the formblock and re-shape them by hammering the flange over again.
                PXL_20230116_040132897.jpg

PXL_20230116_034358171.jpg \
                PXL_20230116_022546929.jpg

I then started forming aileron ribs.

I ran out of wood hardener after creating my formblocks for the nose ribs and since I had seen several logs where nobody mentioned using it I assumed I would be just fine... Boy was I wrong..

Apparently MDF (from Home Depot) is quite compressible (on the order of just under 1/10" after 9 ribs).. The MDF started at .77"..

PXL_20230122_043406825.jpg

I had been watching my son to make sure he was being safe and was not scrutinizing the ribs as much as I should have been... The first in the stack look pretty good, as they progressed they looked less like aileron ribs and more like potato chips...

PXL_20230122_044555919.jpg

Time to reconnoiter and make the hour drive to get some wood hardener....

PXL_20230123_003221336.jpg

On the bright side I was able to bob-stick the potato chips back to aileron rib shape:

PXL_20230123_040723698.jpg

In my research I had not run across anyone that had issues with MDF compressing when forming ribs..

I am I the only one dumb enough to have tried forming without wood hardener or did I just get an extra soft batch of MDF?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Redneckmech; 01-23-2023, 09:27 AM.
                Bill Duncan
                Troy, Idaho
                N53BD - reserved
                Builders-Log

Comment

• N3UW
                  N3UW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had issues with MDF holding up. I used an old model airplane and wood working trick of using CA glue (super glue) to harden the edges. It works well also.

• Redneckmech
                  Redneckmech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you John, I will keep the superglue trick in mind. In your experience, does it work better than wood hardener? Wood working is not one of my specialties so I am certainly open to any suggestions.

• N3UW
                  N3UW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not sure about wood hardener. I have not used it. I just see CA glue as an alternative if you have it sitting around

So.. I began wondering what I was missing out on by pressing the flanges instead of bob-sticking them. I learned that curiosity doesn't kill the cat but it might give it a case of carpal tunnel... I tried on an aileron rib so that if I messed it up I would not cause any major loss of material. It turned out well but I decided I would continue with pressing the flanges. Although there were pressed flanges in the background this one was pure bob-stick. In "tuning" ribs before, I found that leaving the plastic on the rib made the bob-stick slide around the flange easier so I left the plastic in place and lubricated it with wd40
                PXL_20230128_192651264.jpgPXL_20230128_192637188.jpg

That lesson learned I pressed the remainder of the aileron ribs, flap ribs, and center ribs.

Even with wood hardener, the forms compressed. The ribs did potato chip less though:

PXL_20230129_215639266.jpg
                PXL_20230129_215949034.jpg
                here is the first and twelfth flap ribs pressed:

PXL_20230129_220116501.jpg
                PXL_20230129_220830367.jpg
                PXL_20230129_221807781.jpg
                PXL_20230130_005200424.jpg

Even with pressing the flanges, I am still getting some warpage although it is much less than the rib that I bob-sticked. I have been going through and flattening each rib by "tuning" with the bob-stick. Is this something everyone else is doing or am I just being overly particular since the edge flange will be bent afterwards?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Redneckmech; 01-31-2023, 10:41 AM.
                Bill Duncan
                Troy, Idaho
                N53BD - reserved
                Builders-Log

Comment

• Sir Newton
                  Sir Newton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tuned everyone of my parts. Straight ribs make for straight rivet lines. I am here to cheer you on! GO RedNeck GO

• Redneckmech
                  Redneckmech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! Previously I had not seen anyone talk about flattening the ribs between flanging the lightening holes and flanging the edges which made me wonder if everyone else was foregoing that step. My current process is to flange the holes, tune with a bobstick, flange the edges and start the flutes on the formblock, vans straightener on the edge flanges, fluting pliers to flatten, and then go over them with the vans straightener again.

• N3UW
                  N3UW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your results may vary but I did not flatten until after I added the flanges around the rib. I then it used the bob stick to flatten the rib after all the flanges were formed

Aileron ribs are finished!!

PXL_20230202_045927388.jpg

With them complete I moved on to adding the fluting notches to the flap formblock:
                PXL_20230204_042149465.jpg

The first rib had the center flange buckle, I had it clamped in the vise but with the positioning of the lightening hole there was not enough material to prevent the stress from being transferred to the flange and causing it to buckle. I was able to fix it with the bobstick. I tried another one with the same results and decided that the flange needed more support.
                PXL_20230205_023418739.jpg
                PXL_20230205_025509564.jpg
                After thinking about the best solution for a while, it occurred to me that if I took one of the pieces I had cut out of the formblock, put a chamfer on it, and cut it down, I would be able to sandwich it between the backer board and the formblock and support the flange:
                PXL_20230205_193707534.jpg
                PXL_20230205_042859877.jpg
                PXL_20230205_230758241.jpg
                It worked perfectly and I had no further issues with the flange buckling.

PXL_20230206_034453088.jpg
                Flap ribs complete!!!

On to the center rib formblock flutes:

PXL_20230205_211618627.jpg
                I am using my backer board to set the depth of the flutes at 1/8" deep.
                PXL_20230205_211625354.jpg
                Using a rat-tail file to radius the edges of the flutes and then a cleanup with sandpaper before using wood hardener on it.
                PXL_20230205_212136586.jpg

After the wood hardener dried I had just enough time to try the formblock out.

PXL_20230206_042602422.jpg

First center rib complete, now just to get the rest done!

Bill Duncan
                Troy, Idaho
                N53BD - reserved
                Builders-Log

Comment

• Sir Newton
                  Sir Newton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are some nice looking parts.

Those are some great looking parts and jigs
                thanks for taking the time to post those pictures and progress

Comment

It has been a while since the last update, progress has slowed temporarily due to work and family but I have not completely been sitting on my laurels.
                  I put in an order to Airparts inc. for what should be nearly all of the remaining aluminum for the Bearhawk, I planned to try to get it locally from Alcobra in Spokane but they were not able to get the 1/8" 2024 sheet that I need for the cap-strips and I wanted to get it before prices rose further due to the 200% tariff on Russian aluminum. Shipping from Airparts is not insignificant, if anyone in the north Idaho, eastern Washington, or western Montana area wants to combine shipping on a 4'x12' pallet, my order should be shipping from Airparts later this week and be delivered to Inter-state Aviation in Pullman Wa..

I finished flanging the center ribs and then began building a small brake much like the one alaskabearhawk has a video on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLMh-8BMaMQ. Since the plans were no longer available, I watched the video a couple of times and reverse engineered it with a couple of minor changes. Most of the changes that I implemented were to modify it to use available metal from my scrap iron pile and make a hinge pin to allow the leaf to be easily removable. It is currently on standby since the VFD on my belt grinder failed and I am waiting for the replacement so I moved on to cutting out the full-length ribs and remaking a couple of my first nose ribs that I didn't like the look of.

Before the Vans rib straightener
                  PXL_20230213_032013667.jpg

same rib after:
                  PXL_20230213_032310585.jpg

I formed the rib joggles on the formblock prior to bending the rib

PXL_20230210_042303552.jpg

Setting the radius on the first pass with the hammer and then flattening it as much as possible on the remaining passes

PXL_20230210_040344157.jpg

PXL_20230210_035735385.jpg
                  They are gradually stacking up!
                  PXL_20230210_054607227.jpg

A small gift for my wife for Valentines day. I still wonder how she is able to tolerate my antics, she has the patience of a saint.
                  PXL_20230214_141257421.jpg

I used round stock that had seen previous service as a strut in car as the material to build the hinge pins.

PXL_20230219_195231562.jpg

PXL_20230219_201917589.jpg
                  wrench flats via the rotary table on my mill
                  PXL_20230219_203611902.jpg

setting hinge alignment using a transfer punch prior to welding:
                  PXL_20230219_014033535.jpg
                  post welding
                  PXL_20230224_025704701.jpg

PXL_20230219_214332959.jpg

PXL_20230219_214325933.jpg
                  Once I get my grinder going again the clamp bar will finish it out, the hard part is done!
                  PXL_20230224_025645715.jpg

the .025 wing skin layout, there will be 3 sheets needed in total just for skins.

PXL_20230225_033145101.jpg
                  A few replacement nose ribs for ones I did not like the bend radius on, and a couple extra just in case.

PXL_20230225_210024596.jpg
                  Last edited by Redneckmech; 02-26-2023, 10:16 PM.
                  Bill Duncan
                  Troy, Idaho
                  N53BD - reserved
                  Builders-Log

Comment

Lookie who showed up at KPUW!​

PXL_20230224_003709398.jpg

PXL_20230224_003934694~2.jpg

PXL_20230314_030705688.jpg

PXL_20230314_030722173.jpg
                    21" bender is complete and adjusted

PXL_20230323_030005464.jpg

MAJOR shout out to airpartsinc.com Not only were they cheaper than ACS and several others, the metal showed up in perfect condition. The .020 and 024 I received from ACS was good and the outside of the .032 looked good but once I had unrolled the .032 i found multiple gouges in the middle of the sheet..... Since it was a year after the order I worked around them but for any future orders it will definitely be Airparts or my local Alcobra metals and Alcobra had been unable to get .125 due to allocation..

PXL_20230323_030259981.jpg

PXL_20230325_174457101.jpg
                    my 48" of .032 was able to provide both .032 full length inboard wing skins with (barely) room for the .032 ribs. I cut them out with extra (as shown above) on both ends.

PXL_20230325_183326461.jpg

Another gouge from ACS.... This was on the bottom of the sheet and I missed it. I tried polishing it out but will probably remake it and keep this as a trophy.

PXL_20230325_235214450.jpgpload Attachments​

So.... Most "normal" people binge watch movies... I do not have a TV so.... what else to do but binge on airplane plans!! Woke up at 4:00 AM on a Sunday what else to do but go out to the shop and put together a list of 4130 for the Bearhawk!! My wife sent out food with one of my sons so I could keep on making progress. I finished at 9:00 PM PST. A good solid 17 hours but I have a full list of all 4130 needed for a BH5!

As I was going through I found a couple of minor discrepancies but was able to guesstimate or reference the correct materials for them.

PXL_20230326_182446698.jpgPXL_20230326_182442941.jpgPXL_20230327_001741447.jpgPXL_20230326_212247165.jpg
                    Half of the .032 center ribs are complete!

PXL_20230328_022904392.jpg

More to follow!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Redneckmech; 03-28-2023, 10:05 AM.
                    Bill Duncan
                    Troy, Idaho
                    N53BD - reserved
                    Builders-Log

Comment

Lots of work to go but summer is here so will likely have less time to work on the Bearhawk for a few months.
                      Last edited by Redneckmech; 11-21-2023, 10:13 AM.
                      Bill Duncan
                      Troy, Idaho
                      N53BD - reserved
                      Builders-Log

Comment

Where did the summer go?
                        Between family, projects, work, and overhauling the engine in my Cherokee, I did not have time to put much effort into the BearHawk but with summer coming to a close I am able to begin making progress once again. The .032 ribs and short ribs are complete, I rebuilt several nose ribs that I did not like the bend radius on, and I have a good start on the stiffeners for the nose ribs.

I compiled rivet list estimate for the BH B/5 wing, I am sure that I missed some and I am sure that I will need to drill out a few. If anyone sees any that I missed or miscalculated the length on, I would greatly appreciate that feedback! All rivet lengths are calculated with the grip length + 1.5*Diameter and rounded to the nearest size. For the shorter rivets I rounded to the nearest half-size.

Does anyone else that has built a "B" wing have suggestions on what they used or didn't use?

EDIT:
                        CAUTION: I made the realization that the below calculations do NOT include primer.

image.png
                        Last edited by Redneckmech; 11-21-2023, 10:15 AM.
                        Bill Duncan
                        Troy, Idaho
                        N53BD - reserved
                        Builders-Log

Comment

Working...
                        X