Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike in portland - Looking into scratch building a 4p Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike in portland - Looking into scratch building a 4p Bearhawk

Hello,

My name is Mike and I have been researching for the last year what plane I want to build. All my searching has lead me to The Bearhawk. I wanted a stol capable plane and looked at a few different options, The gross weight and 4p capacity and higher cruise speed turned me on to the Bearhawk. At this point I am just gathering information to plan out a build. I have yet to purchase plans but that will happen soon.

I have the benefit of owning a fabrication shop in Portland, Or. and have everything equipment wise to build a plane. (cnc cutting, cnc forming, cnc machining, Tube bending, Tube rolling, Mig and tig welding.) My plan is to 3D model as much as I can from the prints so I can cnc cut and form as mush as possible as well as fixture the airframe. My shop specializes in high performance automotive fabrication so its all right up my alley, just a different application.

So for now im going to lurk around and gather the info that I need and probably ask a lot of questions as this will be my first plane build.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome Mike! You might reach out to Zzz in Lake Oswego. He's a cool fellow and would probably be just as interested in meeting you as you would be in him.

Comment

Mike maybe you can come by my house, check out my airplane, then give me some TIG tips. I'm struggling with this thin wall steel!

Comment

Thanks Jared and ZZZ. ZZZ Im going to take you up on that. Shoot me a text or call. 503-505-4456

Comment

Hi Mike, as a CAD designer for 25 years in Aerospace (and 15 years on the board before that) I too was going to mock up the plane to help with visualization and construction. I got as far as the main spars and stopped there. I was spending more time modeling then building. For a project like this, I think your time is better spent on the band saw and disc sander then NC programming. Like all of the CAD literate builders before you, you will not believe me and will start modeling until you see the folly of your actions. Then you will quit modeling and start building. The Bearhawk is a simple structure and can be easily built by hand from the crappy plans but it's a BIG job.. There have been so many CAD models created of this airplane that you might get what you need from another builder. But beware it could be garbage.
          Cheers
          Gerry
          Patrol #30 Wings
          Seattle

Comment

Welcome to the gang. Where abouts in Portland. I am out in Estacada. I am building a patrol but same construction. Just at it a few months, wing ribs done working on spars.

Doug
            Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Thanks Doug. My shop is in NE Portland near cascade station and I live in Beaverton. I like the patrol as well. I was originally planning to build a 2 seater but a baby on the way has swayed my decision. Sounds like your making quick progress.

Comment

He IS making quick progress!
                Great to hear from you Mike. I'm in Hood River, might have to pay your shop a visit. Baby here too (1-1/2 yrs old), he's gotta build his own plane if he wants to come along.
                Mark
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

Hi Mike,
                  I am building a Patrol. I am just finishing up the first wing. I am currently in the Denver area but am moving back to the Seattle area this summer. I also fly out to Arlington every year for the flyin. Any of you PNW guys going to make it up to Arlington again the year? It would be fun to arange a get together.
                  John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Hello Mark, Thanks for the welcome. Im at the shop 7 days a week usually so feel free to stop in. The shop is called District Fabrication and its right near Cascade Station.

John I actually ran across your videos on youtube a couple days and subscribed to your channel. There is some great info in your videos. I appreciate you sharing them.

Comment

What resources does everyone recommend I read in preparation for buildling?

Comment

Eric's manuals are helpful. Desert bearhawk and John (and I'm sure countless others) have helpful YouTube channels. The plans are a good resource too
                        Mark
                        Scratch building Patrol #275
                        Hood River, OR

Comment

Thanks Chewie,

Has anyone found a supplier of 2024 t3 aluminum sheet in the Pacific Northwest? I have exhausted all my suppliers in the Portland area with no luck. Im assuming there has to be someone in the Seattle area that carries it with all the aerospace work going on up there.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Mike,
                            I gave up and ordered the 2024 t3 from Aircraft Spruce. They can roll up to .032 so the shipping is not to bad. BTW, I still want to come check out your shop and drool on you cool tools.

Doug
                            Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Thyssen Krupp
                              Copper and Brass sales Div

thyssenkrupp Materials NA (tkMNA) is a leading materials and supply chain services supplier to manufacturing companies throughout North America. With more than 80 locations in the United States, Canada and Mexico, tkMNA employees approximately 3,000 people. With our customers and suppliers, we are engineering. tomorrow. togeether.

Comment

Working...
                              X