Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Bearhawk builder/owner in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Bearhawk builder/owner in Michigan

Howdy y'all.
    I'm planning on building a 4-place Model-B Bearhawk in the (hopefully) near future. Been looking and dreaming about Bearhawks for several years now. I'm an airframe mechanic, and I really like building things around the house and shop, so I was originally thinking about scratchbuilding. However, this will be my first build and I haven't seen a lot of success/completed scratchbuilds, and I will be on somewhat of a time crunch to get done, so I think I will end up buying a QB kit. It just seems like more people have success with those than the other, and frankly, as much as I enjoy building, I also love flying! Besides, I will be building medieval armor, a car, and a motorcycle of my own design after I have my Bearhawk in the air. Those should projects should keep the creative build monster at bay.
    Right now I live in SW Michigan near the Lake, but am planning to move to the Lansing area within the next year, so I kinda can't get started on my Bearhawk until I sell my house and move.
    I'm planning on outfitting it with an O-540, CS prop, and floats. I was originally thinking of straight floats because they're cheaper and lighter, but my wife has me considering amphibians now. I'm also going to be looking for a relatively inexpensive floatplane to fly next year (2018).
    I'm also working on my CFI initial right now and plan to move to Alaska to be a professional backcountry and floatplane pilot around 2021 after I retire from my current job. My goal is to have the Bearhawk done before I move to AK. Thus, the time crunch. If I don't get it done, then I'll just have to finish it in AK, but it would be nice to get it in the air after I arrive.
    I'm a friendly, thick-skinned US Army veteran, and I appreciate and value of advice and feedback, so don't be shy, but don't be a rude jerk about it either. Constructive criticism can be very valuable and helpful, and so can encouragement. Both are welcomed.
    I'm planning on going to Oshkosh/AirVenture this year (2017) Monday - Wednesday. If anybody wants to link up for a meet-n-greet, I'd love to join ya. I'm hoping there will be a decent Bearhawk presence there, and Model-B plans for sale too, but I haven't seen any announcements or "sticky" posts indicating that will be the case. If not, I'll just order 'em through the mail.
    Last edited by SteveF; 06-11-2017, 07:55 PM.

Welcome! Mark your schedule for Chris In Milwaukee 's cookout on Tuesday night, the best place to meet other Bearhawk folks at OSH.

Comment

I'm in the process of building pretty much the same aircraft Steve. I'm scratch building the Bravo and planning on amphibs as well. I've got a longer time frame though, and early in the build. Just cut most of the wing ribs and should start flanging them in the next week. Should be a nice aircraft on floats.

Comment

Awesome!
        I'll definitely look for Chris's cookout.
        tbaylx I'm thinking about building the wings while I save up for the fuselage and empennage kits.
        Or I might just try to get a loan for the whole QB kit.
        I won't decide until after Oshkosh when I have the plans in my hands. I'm just really anxious to get it started and done.
        It's hard to find information for amphibious floats for the Bearhawk. I'm guessing something that works on a 180/182 will probably work?
        No worries, I have a long time to figure it out.

Comment

Any 2500-2800# amphibs should work. Edo 2700 series, Montana 2800's, Clamar 2500's. Probably the Zenair kit built 2500's as well if you want to build your own and save $. Personally I'd love the to get the Montana's but not sure they'll be in the budget,

Comment

Wow, great information!
            I didn't realize there was a kit for amphibious floats. That's awesome! I'll have to look into that and compare them with certified amphibious floats.
            Do you have a build site online or on Facebook?
            I am thinking about making one, but not sure I will. I feel like it would be a pain in the you know what to keep updated, edited, and maintained.
            I want to focus on building, and not be distracted by a nuisance like maintaining a website. Maybe I can get one of my kids to do that part for me. Haha!
            Last edited by SteveF; 06-20-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Here's Zenair's website with the kit floats.

I do have a kitlog, but like you i'm better off building instead of keeping it up to date. I try and add stuff to it once and awhile to keep family up to date on progress. I admire those that put up so much good information on youtube and their kitlogs.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

Working...
              X