Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New QB Patrol Builder in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New QB Patrol Builder in Canada

Hi All, I received my QB Patrol kit on Nov 4-2017. I had pre-ordered everything before the kit arrived as I am trying to be as efficient as possible. Ive got it to the point I should be covering the fuselage before Christmas. Aero sport is building me a 220hp IO-382 Wildcat to be delivered Feb 1 and Dynon is building me the full HDX quick panel with Auto pilot. Why the Bearhawk Patrol?? Well I started my flying life in Ultralights in 1996 and became an instructor to get more free flying time. I had an ASAP Beaver then the Norseman UL but got out of flying when my kids were born in 2005. In 2011 a friend of mine took me on a fishing trip in his new Sportsman 2+2. That trip cost me about $250k as I purchased a Cessna 185 on Amphibs and completed my PPL in 30days. I really enjoyed the 185 and logged about 400 hrs in it. Everything changed when another friend of mine purchased a Supercub and asked me to ferry it home for him as he wasn’t a TAILWHEEL guy. Within 20 min of flying it I knew I had to have one. The center stick and visibility was absolutely incredible. Within 5 weeks, I had sold my 185 and purchased a Supercub. I realized that the 185 was just travelling by air, but the cub was flying. Another problem surfaced very quickly. I travel with my plane for work as well as many trip into the Canadian north hunting and fishing. The Supercub is just too slow. I needed something that could get me places quicker but still maintain some cub feel. I was sleeping in a tent on Tazin Lake, Saskatchewan approx 7 miles south of the NWT border on a fishing trip when I picked up an old issue of Kitplane I had taken and read an article on the Riblett wing and Bob Barrows. I was extremely intrigued by it and couldn’t get it off my mind. WHen I got back to civilization and was able to do some research I was hooked and had to have one. I was a certified welder in a previous life and have had a hand in building and rebuilding a few aircraft in my day so that part didn’t scare me much. Within 2 weeks of getting home I called Mark and ordered my kit. If anybody wants to chat Bearhawk, I’m always avail at 306-740-8803.

Wow! Sorry to hear you're taking so long... Yeah, I'm kidding. Congratulations on your decision and welcome to the fray! Got the kit on 11-4 and covering by Christmas? Whew! A word of advice; covering the fuselage too soon can cause great heartburn and cost lots of time, if you have to perform tasks inside that covering.
    You made a great choice in the Patrol. It flies fast and it flies slowly..both of which are good. Better yet, it's just a pleasure to fly!

Bill

Comment

Welcome to the Bearhawk club. This is a great place for any and all information you might need or want while building your Patrol!! I'm impressed with the choice of engine and panel. What I question is--Covered by Christmas?? I'm always available at 306-740-8803?? Not any more. If you're going to have that covered by Christmas, your not gona have time to talk on the phone. And everything Bill said about flying the Patrol is so true!!

Comment

Lol, thanks guys.. ya I’m going hard. My OCD is in high gear and I’m super excited. Just have the fuel and brake line to run now.. happy Holidays to ya

Comment

Welcome. I know Canada is a small country, but where abouts in Canada?

Comment

I’m in Stockholm, Saskatchewan. 150 miles East of Regina

Comment

Welcome to the adventure!

I remember a while back I was teaching a class on biomedical electronics in Toronto, and one of my students was from Red Deer. He told me that Saskatchewan was so flat, that on a clear day you could see the back of your own head. I'll remember that until my last days.

Looking forward to following along with your project!

~Chris
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Hi guys, an update on my Patrol. Wings are just about done. I’ve mounted them, built struts and removed them to finish the inspection covers( 8 more to go). Ailerons, flaps and tail surfaces are all ready for cover. Fuselage iiscovered and moved into the paint booth today. Engine and panel are on sched to arrive next week. I’ve attached a couple pics
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Very impressive! Thanks for the update!

Comment

Working...
                  X