Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking into 4-place bearhawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into 4-place bearhawks

A&P/IA in Alaska. Former RV-6A builder. Looking into the 4 place. Not sure if I'm ready to pull the pin yet. I'm intrigued by the design and possibilities, but concerned about the purchase process and commitment. I've had a project in the garage for years before. I'm a bit gun-shy. I've found that once I have a flying plane...build progress slows considerably. I'm also a bit gun-shy over the factory pickup point being 4,300 miles away. I've inspected a lot of experimental aircraft (mostly RV series) over the years and have found build quality all over the map. So I'm unsure about purchasing a partially built kit or a flying aircraft. So mostly....I'm lurking. I'm serious, but still investigating which way to go. Thanks for letting me lurk... Since posts are best with pictures, here's a pic from some time ago flying my daughter to the Tillamook air museum in Oregon.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I'll jump in here before the really experienced builders. I am an A&P and build an RV-7. I purchased a partially completed set of scratch built wings. I thought long and hard about it and inspected them before hand. Once I had them I had two A&P friends go over the completed work. The guy did first rate work, but then he was an A&P/IA as well. Maybe my experience is the exception but you certainly have the experience to be a judge of the workmanship of any partially completed kit.

I enjoy the building process and don't feel the "need" to get done with the project because I have a flying aircraft. It changes your perspective and if it sits for a week that is okay.

Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Thanks BravoGolf. The right kit in the right location...for the right price, I'll jump for sure. Documentation and photos do a lot to ease the worry, and if flying, some hours. I've declined to make offers on several projects locally that were not bearhawks.

Comment

Phil where are you at in Alaska? There's a few builders and a handful flying.

Like you said, quality is all over the place though.

I recently trailered a quickbuild kit up that had a good amount of work done on it after looking for about 8-9 months.
        Last edited by zkelley2; 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post
          Phil where are you at in Alaska? There's a few builders and a handful flying.

Like you said, quality is all over the place though.

I recently trailed a quickbuild kit up that had a good amount of work done on it after looking for about 8-9 months.
          I'm in Kenai

Comment

Working...
          X