Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopeful Alberta wannabe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To confirm what everyone is saying about the Patrol and see that the numbers we give are not exaggerated you should go see Mike Silvernagle and fly with him in Saskatchewan. . He told me this weekend he now has 14 hours on his Patrol. Not sure how many hours are required in Canada have to be flown off to take a passenger. To say Mike is happy with it is an understatement. Mark

Comment

Phase 1 is normally 25 hours in Canada (although it isn't called Phase 1....)

-------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Greetings again, everyone. I got a promotion! I was a “wannabe”, but now I’m a “gonnabe”. (because I just made my deposit for my Patrol QB kit)

Members of this forum have already stepped up to provide critical information leading to my decision, so thanks for that. Mark Goldberg (Avipro) and Mike Silvernagle (Bearhawk Canada) have already spent quite a bit of time accommodating my questions, which has helped immensely in making educated decisions. Thanks to both for their patience and enthusiasm.

I would really like to connect in person with builders, particularly in larger Canadian centres. Also in SoCal and Vegas, places I travel to. I live near Calgary, Alberta. I’m looking forward to an excellent journey and I hope to meet many of you in the process.
        Regards to all.

Pat Bruce

Comment

Just curious, I assume Murphy Aircraft was on your list of considerations? If so, what factors tipped you toward the Patrol?
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Hi Pat,

I'm out in Squamish which is only about an hour north of Vancouver. Let me know if you're ever out this way. I'm working on a 4 place QB right now. Awesome kit so far. Lots to research amd figure out but really interesting.

Tim
            4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
            IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

Why not a Murphy?

To be honest, I actually never seriously considered a Murphy. The Moose is too big and too expensive, and not for the mission I have in mind. Rebel (I think it’s called) is very small to my eye. My son and I were looking at one in Nelson several weeks ago and he remarked that it looked too small, for a guy my size. (I suffer a bit in my RV9 after 2 hours) I also like rag and tube from an aesthetic perspective, even if it has metal wings. A childhood buddy’s dad had a Supercub tied up on the lake in front of his house and I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw.

I could be wrong but I’m doubtful that the small Murphy plane can be slowed down for landing like the Patrol. It looks like it gets its performance numbers from small size and power. I became interested in the Superstol and Highlander when I saw the video of that humble but VERY talented Steve Henry on desert mountains in Idaho. Then I had a good look at a Superstol near me and I felt that it while it could certainly do some very unique flying, it is very slow, carries a small payload and is quite fragile. That particular one had a broken back from the guy making a mistake when he folded the wings.

I’m building this for my kids and I to use together, (they’re new pilots). Their interest is long trecks into Northern BC and Yukon, Southern California, and beyond, so the payload, roominess, speed and range are all in favour of the Patrol. Ultimately, it captures my imagination in a way that nothing else does (except maybe the Supercub). Appreciating the size, metal wings, build quality, price, and support offered by Avipro and Bearhawk Canada and this community, I made the leap.

Did you look at Murphy in a detailed way Mark? I’m interested in what brought you to the Bearhawk as well.
              Last edited by Pbruce; 08-08-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• TimTall
                TimTall commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a Murphy Elite now with a 160hp O-320 on it. It's a tiny bit bigger than a Rebel. It's an awesome little plane. At gross weight on a 30 degree Celsius day I can still climb out at over 1000fpm after a 600' roll. Power off with full flaps at 0 IAS it doesn't stall. It just sinks at about 500fpm. Hardest part about getting in to short strips with tall tress is that it doesn't sink faster.

It'll take two full size mountain bikes or two 7' surfboards inside so it does have load carrying capabilities. I'm building a 4-place so I can put it on amphibs. There are Rebels/Elites out there on them but the useful loads is too low for me. Basically it becomes a day trip fishing machine.

The other thing is the company. I'm not sure how viable they are right now. I've had a hard time getting parts when I've needed them.

Tall Tim, I would love to meet up with you and see your project. I’ll PM you some time when I am going to be in the neighbourhood with a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Pbruce View Post
                Did you look at Murphy in a detailed way Mark? I’m interested in what brought you to the Bearhawk as well.
                I didn't look too much at Murphy, likely because my impression was they were all kit and I needed a plans option. What led me to bearhawk: Builder support was a big one for me, the designer is alive and friendly, the kit side is alive and friendly, getting started scratchbuilding was affordable (and still is), and it's truly a real airplane and was from the beginning, not an evolved ultralight like so many others.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

Thanks for the perspective. I salute your scratch building aspirations, Mark. Tim, that’s pretty cool how you can put 2 min bikes inside with you. I had no idea that plane was so big. I don’t think the patrol can match that attribute. Another thing that drew me to this plane or ones like it is the tandem seating. Side by side is great, and I experience the benefits every time I fly our RV9. We are using it for training so it’s a doubly important attribute. On the other hand, I really want the view afforded by high-wing centre-line seating, and I like to fly with the stick in my right hand, throttle in the left. I’m interested in what kind of amphib floats you are planning. Will you be the first?

Comment

• TimTall
                    TimTall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Murphy isn't big but it's big enough. Takes a bit of figuring and some well placed padding to make it work.

Not sure if I'd be the first to put a 4-place on amphibs. I doubt it. I'm looking at Zenair. Canadian company with a pretty good looking kit. I haven't done to much research on them yet though. That's a couple years off still
                Working...
                X