Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BH5 scratch build KPSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BH5 scratch build KPSC

My son and I are planning on building a BH5. I’ve ordered plans and waiting for them to be released. I’m hoping to get plans for the wings sooner so we can start on those. Does anyone have an accurate raw material list so I can get those ordered for the wings? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum...

on Eric’s web page(Bearhawk manuals) I think he still has a list for the A model..very similar..give you a good idea of what is needed...keep in mind the metal thickness will be different on some parts...and other diffrences ...just use it as a rough guide

Comment

Developing a materials list is a great way to study the plans. Go page by page and calculate every piece, and nut and bolt and rivet, tube, and area of 2024 AL. Some might call it busy work, but its an outstanding education experience.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Welcome to the Bearhawk community. You will get a lot of support here and a good range of input that will help with your decisions. There is a lot of experience here and building an airplane is like going to school. It requires a ton of reading and self educating on the the build practices, instruments, and wiring. We bought both Eric Newton's manuals and Russ Erb's CD's which was money well spent. It is nice to see how things are done with their different approaches and once the concept fits a person can do further research as time moves on a processes have evolved. We were able to pass all three of our inspections on the first pass including the final w/o any snags or do overs. Thanks in part to Eric & Russ, the Beartracks, this community, EAA, Kitplanes and local aircraft mechanics support. The EAA and Kitplanes have a lot of good information. Some of the articles from Kitplane helped with the build and was worth the subscription. The internet is a god send and lots of good information. Bob Barrows helped us by answering a couple questions of specifics that were design related.

Brooks is right. A person should get to know their plans inside & out so developing material take offs is a good start. We ordered all the aluminum with a couple spare sheets in one batch and used it all by the end of the build. If you have the space and budget there may be an opportunity to save some money. We ordered the steel to make the wing parts and the hardware for the wings. I went out with the aluminum list and got a good discount for volume and cash. I arranged to secure the order with Mastercard to assemble the order then sent a bank money order for the cash part and it was shipped when payment is received. The vendors worked out the best shipping arrangements & we had the orders shipped to where there was a fork truck to put the heavy loads on the trailer. When it was time for the fuselage then we assembled and order for all the steel and got good discount for the quantity. We ordered the hardware in two large orders and received some discounts as well. It does not hurt to ask if there is a discount for volume and the ask if you can have a discount for cash rather than use your credit card. All the vendors factor in a few percents for credit card transactions that they give up so why not give the percents to the customer where it is appreciated. Vendor loyalty cards give the buyer a percent with their cards and if they do not pay off the balance they make their money on the interest in spades. No one really wants to give anything on the electronics and the sense I got is that the margins are tight so use sales when they come. Often Vendors give good discounts at Christmas and some major annual holidays like Thanksgiving which also is a great time to buy tools. The full size wing patterns and the ailerons etc will give sizes to lay out to see how many parts will come out of the sheets. Not sure what is up with supply for spar caps as we were able to get them from Wicks but that was a long time ago. If one is dealing with distances than it is best to maximize orders and bulk ship otherwise a good percentage of the project costs goes to shipping. Ordering parts in small batches rolls up a higher % of costs with shipping. I am sure that the shipping we did pay would be enough for a good cruise with the wife.

Comment

here is a link to the list on Eric`s site...

This was for the Alpha wing so dimensions/thickness and quantity will be different......but gives you a good idea of costs and has sheet layout guides...etc...

Last edited by way_up_north; 02-15-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Airtrac1 View Post
            My son and I are planning on building a BH5. I’ve ordered plans and waiting for them to be released. I’m hoping to get plans for the wings sooner so we can start on those. Does anyone have an accurate raw material list so I can get those ordered for the wings? Thanks in advance.
            this is a link to a builder on the forum here and his recommended list...its not official so double check it against your plans...

My1st material order for BH5 wings. More flat bar for the rear spar caps & spacers is required. Fyi, One extra sheet of 0.020, 0.025, & 0.032 are included in this list. Otherwise this was my starting point for material procurement. Hind sight being 20/20, I would not order a full sheet of 0.062 I would simply substitute

Comment

Working...
            X