Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sending Ya'll a Big Howdy from South-Central North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending Ya'll a Big Howdy from South-Central North Carolina

As a longtime LSA plans owner and member of the forum, I am starting to see a window of opportunity for getting started with my project before the end of 2021. Hence, this introduction. I first became interested in aviation from reading the book, Sabre Jet Ace by Charles Ira Coombs, while in the 4th grade. I recently thought that I should track down that book for my personal library but discovered that it was selling for $1000.00 on Amazon, including tax. Yikes!! That vacant shelf location will have to remain that way.

I was born and raised in South Central NC and lived on a small family farm. I still live on a portion of it. And to timestamp myself, I was picking cotton by hand for $1.00 per 100 lbs when I was 8. Dang, I would have had to work 5 days just to afford a gallon of todays 100LL. We then took it to the gin on a 2 horse wagon pulled by mules. By the age of 10, I was spending my summer days walking behind a mule and single row cultivator within a large field of corn. I say this partially because I'm in awe of where technology has come since then, especially aircraft design. And also because I have been a part of and worked within technology sectors most of my adult life, after the U.S. Army borrowed me for a couple years. I know there are more of us short-shelf-life members out there. Let's Git 'Er Done, while we can!!

It was the late 80's before I found the time and money to get my pilots license. Since then, I've owned a C172, 1942 J-3 and a RV-6 project that I sold to a buddy/partner before finishing due to job requirements, unfortunately. The Cub was so much fun and was a metaphorical piece of art, no credit to me. I only kept it clean so others could admire its beauty, during my ownership. The RV-6, by a stoke of luck, found itself as the centerfold of Sport Aviation, September, 2016 with a sky full of fireworks in the background. I also had the opportunity to fly a few more aircraft including a wonderful morning spent at the controls of a Christen Eagle II. Does it get any better than that?? I'm sure it does when you are flying your own personal hand-built baby.

Enough about me. One of the favorite parts of reading this Introduction channel is learning about the members. Their jobs, families, favorite aircraft, experiences and expertise in so many different disciplines that are of such benefit to all of us, at some point, in our quest to fulfill a dream. Much appreciation goes out to all of you!!

Like many of you, also, my past experiences with aircraft has been one of: Owning and flying, building and crying... My apologies if I just inadvertently nudged you back into reality.

Sincere greetings to you all,
    Mitchell (Mitch)

LSA Plans Builder - Completed and Flying Wannabe

Welcome aboard, Mitch! Best wishes for successful outcome of your build.

Comment

• NCLSA183
      NCLSA183 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much. Hope you are progressing according to your expectations. Good luck with everything!

welcome aboard Mitch, Get you a set of plans and giter done!!!

Comment

• NCLSA183
      NCLSA183 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dave. Thanks for the handshake. I don't even have to worry about sanitizing. I shouldn't joke. Things are getting bad again...
      FYI, I've got plans... Just need a PLAN.

Hi Dave.
    Saber Jet Ace? Ive seen that somewhere recently. If I find it, I'll send it to you. I and my son are prepping to start a BH5 QB soon. Just working on gathering up the down payment to order the kit, and then a 2 or 3 year hair ripping period of lovingly massaging materiel into the shape of an airplane.

Best wishes for your efforts.
    Brian Sean and Cora way up north, eh!

Comment

• NCLSA183
      NCLSA183 commented
      Editing a comment
      What a nice, thoughtful offer, Brian. Should you come across a copy at a reasonable cost, I would gladly reimburse you. Although, you might want to keep it as an investment or sell on eBay, based upon the prices that I have seen. Thanks and best of luck with your BH5 project. There was a time when it would have been my choice, as well.

Mitch
Working...
X