Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Builder wanna be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builder wanna be

Hi all - Dan Murphy, private pilot out of 3CK/KDPA.

I've looked at a lot of homebuilts in order to decide which to build and have settled on the 4 place Bearhawk for the following reasons;

1. Good pireps overall. Not really seen any negative ones
    2. Wanted a scratch build for cost savings that was actually doable
    3. Proven design elements
    4. Can carry my family and full fuel and run at a decent pace for x-country flights (planning on IFR equipping)

Blue skies to all!

welcome to the group
    Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Glad to have you here Dan, welcome.

Comment

Good luck. Make sure you realize that if your time is worth anything, building from scratch is not the cheapest and you can expect several years in the process. Other than that you made a great choice in picking the bearhawk, but I am partial. I started in 2010 and am still about 40 hours away before I even start to skin the wings. I am on the 10 year build plan and running behind.

Comment

If you build from scratch, you have to get to a point where you enjoy the build. For me it was therapitic being out in my shop making parts. Put on some cool tunes, make shop comfortable temperature-wise and just lose tourself in the build process. Don't get overwhelmed with all the plans. Look at one sheet at a time and concentrate on make those pas only. When you finish that sheet, move onto the next. Lastly, make sure that you don something on it each day. Even if its just studying the plans, or reading websites or the manuals, do a little something each day to keep progressing through the project. I have found that if I stop for any length of time, i lose where I was and have figure it out again to restart.
          Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
          Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
          http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Working...
          X