Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

New Member. Just received Plan set from Bob. Located North of the 49th and East of the Rockies. Hello to all.

Welcome

Which plans?

Scratch or plans prior to the QB kit arriving?
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!
      LSA, Scratch.
      Looking forward to the challenge of making each part, as if homebuilding a kit first then assembling that kit. Always been fascinated with this timeless old school approach despite it taking longer. Enjoy the creative problem solving and learning opportunity involved.

Comment

Welcome. Reach out if you are near Calgary and want to talk ‘Hawks anytime, or drop in for a shop visit. (You didn’t say how far north and how far east -maybe you’re my neighbour?)

Comment

Hey Pbruce,
          Thanks for the welcome. I may just take you up on the offer to peak at your project and talk shop sometime down the road. How is your project coming along? I'm just in the early read-up, study the plans and project set up phase. Looking forward to getting started measuring, cutting, filing, bending, drilling, deburring, riveting, and repeat, etc. Want to learn all that I can from members in this group and give back where I can.
          Greg.

Comment

• Pbruce
            Pbruce commented
            Editing a comment
            Wings went pretty well, which I attribute to a high degree of prefabrication by the factory, a weekend EAA sheet metal course, and a lot of patient phone assistance by Mark Goldberg. Fuselage is going slow. I’ve spent weeks on rear windows and fuel lines which others have done in a few days. I think I’m having more trouble with putting things together because of my inexperience, and some frustration from working without comprehensive instructions, leading to motivational issues. For example, I’m pretty sure that my rear windows will not accept the 1/8” plexiglass I bought and I can’t seem to stretch the gap evenly enough to to do so. Now I’m too nervous to bend harder, and I’ve spent way too many hours and have too many fasteners pegging the windows to other frame elements to pull it apart. This is just one place I’m feeling stuck.

You are obviously a real builder though, since you are working from scratch. I doubt you will experience these issues. Most builders don’t seem to, and I expect that any scratch builder is going to be thinking many steps ahead. It IS moving along though. Hopefully, I’ll get through my current hurdles and experience some moderate success on the cowl, or the floor, or seats or something. The rudder pedals, brakes, gear, controls and cabling went quite easily, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that I’ll get over the hump and start moving along better.

I’m probably not a great source of advice, but you would be welcome to view the project any time. Where are you?

Hello and welcome, Greg. Looking forward to reading your progress and wishing you the best of luck.

Mitch

Comment

• Greg L
            Greg L commented
            Editing a comment
            Mitch,
            Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Was out of town and not following this site for a bit. Thank you for the welcome and wishes of luck. It is appreciated.
            Greg.

Hey Greg, welcome aboard. Im scratch building an LSA as well. I use the term scratch building lightly because I have bought many components from Mark. What is your experience in building ? Good luck on your build. I look forward to your posts.

David

Comment

• Greg L
            Greg L commented
            Editing a comment
            David,
            Sorry about not responding right away. (see above) Thanks for the welcome. It's nice that with Bearhawks you have the option of Scratch and also purchased factory parts. Kinda Hybrid building approach. I have worked on light homebuilts previously, but by no means am I a trained professional. (A&P, AME, etc) just an enthusiastic amateur that enjoys the learning. I'm currently trying to wrap up a previous project before getting started on the LSA. Look forward to participating in this group as well.
            Greg.

Hi there, Greg. Brian out here in Dawson Ck, BC. Getting ready to purchase a 5 kit. Hope you enjoy the B'hawk world as much as I (and the rest of us) do. Welcome.

Comment

• Greg L
            Greg L commented
            Editing a comment
            Brian,
            Thanks for welcoming me. Wow the 5 that's fantastic, it looks like a big "skookum" design well suited for the bush. Haven't been to Zero mile in quite a few years. Closest was G.P. maybe 6 years ago. Good luck on your project and yes I too enjoy things Bearhawk, been lurking for sometime previously.

We have a few builders in the wild, wild west.

Comment

Working...
          X