Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member Northern VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Northern VA

Hello Bearhawk community.

I'm your typical student dreamer. Learning in the non traditional way by flying with friends. Some of them are instructors. I would say that I've accumulated around 20 hours so far with most of it in Champs. I leaned pretty quickly that passion wasn't in 152s, 172s, PA28s, or RV12s. It's low and slow in a tailwheel tandom with nowhere to be, no pressing schedule, and grass strips. I like to fly for fun, not to commute. I like the way an L4 gets the tail off quick, even on 65hp. I like how quickly it gets off the ground. I like the slightly faster cruise of a Champ but mostly the front seat visibility and comfort. So I'm looking at building the LSA while I continue to fly. Soon I'll be switching over to a fulltime training arrangement to get my Sport ticket.

I have the the time to build. I currently have a Baby Ace project and I love the idea of an economic single seater. But there are quite a few things I don't like about it. Maybe one day I can set out to update this idea. Anyway, I just retired after 21 years in the service and will be a stay at home dad for the next 2.5 years. I joined the local EAA chapter but will be moving to NW Wisconsin when we find a house.

I'm aware of one gentlemen who is registered on the builder map and building the LSA in NOVA. I'll reach out to him very soon. I'd love to get a look at one of these airplanes and talk to the builders of them.

Lucas

If I had do it over again, I'd have done an A&P with my VA and paid for flight training and college out of pocket. As it was, the military eventually paid for most of my ratings courtesy of Flight Safety's U-21/C-12 program and the equivalency stuff for the CFII. Your VA is likely much more generous than us Vietnam-era guys got, so might look at that. Both DC and Manassas have A&P programs IIRC...

I'm in Germantown, MD (Exit 16 off I-270) scratch building a Patrol... pretty similar to the LSA, but a little heavier sheet stock and flaps. PM me if you want to drop by to talk scratch building up to where I've gotten (robs all formed, working wing components and trying to find a 10' bending brake for the spars).

If moving to NW Wisconsin, might be simpler to do all your research now, then wait until you have the space to start knocking out aircraft parts.

Todd

Comment

Thanks for the info Todd. I'll PM you today. I'd love to see your build so far. I actually took a tour of the Manassas school and considered going. Not to be a paid A&P but to learn for my own sake. Life is taking us somewhere else though and there are no schools of the type in that area. Can't wait to talk shop.

Lucas

Comment

Working...
      X