Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Flat

Today the weather wasn't typical New Mexico. Sky was gray but ceiling was somewhere in the 14.000ft. So a good opportunity to explore the closer vicinity again. There are some salt flats about 70 miles southeast of Alamogordo and I always wanted to land there. The wind up in the mountains was blowing from the north and it blew me down toward Dell City with 155kts GS.
    Not to bad. When I arrived I noticed that the big flat was flooded but there was a smaller one north east of it. The Guadelupe Mountain NP is close by. So I turned around a took a closer look at the smaller flat. It seamed dry and I could see some ATV tracks. So I though i'll give it a try. With partial flaps I made my first approach and flew the aircraft down till to tires touched the ground. I kept the power in and noticed no significant slowdown. The surface was flat and smooth and not to soft. I added power for a go around and made my final approach. When the tires touched the ground again I very slowly reduced power. So I did not get a short landing but a very smooth one. The tail came down and remained down and the aircraft came to a stop. Not a problem at all. Here I was, my first landing on a Salt Flat in the middle of nowhere! ;-)
    Attached some pictures for you guys!
    Georg
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by GeorgH; 12-01-2013, 10:17 PM.

Nice photos! What size tires, George? Terry

Comment

I love reading BH stories! Thanks for posting! Keeps my head in the clouds.

BH1308

Comment

Well done Georg, thanks for sharing some photos with everyone!
        The 26" Goodyears are looking good.

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by TrueAirSpeed View Post
          Nice photos! What size tires, George? Terry
          26" Goodyears, Terry. They are on there for over 200 hrs now.
          Georg

Comment

Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing.
            John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Thanks George. How about that tail wheel, what size? Terry

Comment

Alaska Babybushwheel! Former SCOTT

Comment

Thanks again. Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X