Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cummins Spinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins Spinner

Has anyone purchased a Cummins polished aluminum spinner? They are out of Australia. For a 13" for Hartzel prop, it's about $400 including shipping. Still need to purchase Van's backplate and backplate doubler. My brother is building an RV8 and has received his. I've only seen pics but looks nice.
    Larry Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Larry, the diameter of the spinner will depend on the nose bowl. You might measure yours and be sure that it matches the spinner in question. We purchased our prop lightly used and it came with a painted spinner, which I took to a local polishing shop. They made it look spectacular for about $80.

Comment

Jared, I don't have my nose bowl installed yet. It's a two-piece. But if I butt them up together, it looks like 14". I had assumed all along that a 13" spinner would work since I thought I saw in the manuals that a 13" from Van's was an option. Looks like I'd better do some more research. Thx,.
      Larry Driver

Comment

As I understand it, Bob's nose bowl mold fits a 13" spinner, and the kit nose bowl is a little bigger. Our kit nose bowl matches the Hartzel spinner perfectly.

Comment

That makes sense. The prop opening flange tapers in and by the time you add the clearance, it is probably 13".
          Larry Driver

Comment

Hi Larry! The MT prop I have, came with a 14" "chrome carbon fiber" spinner. Because the nosebowl (that I got with Dick's project) was suited for a 13" spinner, I had to buy a different spinner. If there's any way you could adapt the 14" MT spinner to your prop, I'd sure like to see the chrome one go to Mogollan!

Bill

Comment

Hi, Bill. Hope you are enjoying Dicks' Patrol. Sure sounds like it and I loved seeing the pictures. We recently went and visited Dick in Oregon. He still so wishes he could have completed and flown the Patrol.

Thanks so much for the offer on the spinner, but I think I might be digging my hole deeper here creating more issues. I'm really confused about this whole thing. I guess I didn't know there were 14" spinners. My nose bowl is definitely setup for a 14". I'm afraid with your MT spinner I'd have to modify or find a 14" backplate to match up to the Hartzel prop. Jared mentioned that the kit nose bowl (mine, I assume) fits the Hartzel spinner. So it might be easier to just go with Hartzel in that case rather than Cummins. Again, really appreciate the offer.
              Larry Driver

Comment

• Bdflies
                Bdflies commented
                Editing a comment
                Understand completely. When ordering the 13" unit, I asked how much for the 'chrome one'. I didn't like the price of the white one, but $2k for a 'chrome' spinner was a bit much...
                I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I have to emphasize that Dick did some fine work! I would like nothing better than to see him fly it.

Bill
            Working...
            X