Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edge Forming Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Forming Tool

I ordered an edge forming tool from Cleveland Tools as recommended in Eric's manual. I've never used one before and I cannot tell if it's "defective". When you apply pressure on the sheet the roller turns slightly. I would think the rollers should be more square to each other so as not to create a pressure point. I tested it on some scrap and it leaves a mark......but I am not sure this is "normal"? Would appreciate some other's opinion.

Leaves a pretty good mark were the rollers meet.

I have one as well. It's identical to yours. My instructions say you should just be able to see the rolled edge and no more, if you are leaving marks, you have it cranked down too tight. I use mine all the time with no issues.
    Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
    Project Plans #1299
    N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

I have that one too and didn't like the results. I used the Avery edge rolling tool instead and like the results much better. It's probably technique but the Avery tool was much easier to use for me.

Wayne Massey - Central Florida
      BH733
      LSA23
      http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

I thought the Avery tool gave horrible results and was totally inconsistent. Either of you guys wanna sell your edge forming tool, I'll flip the rollers and I'll have a right and a left hand tool....
        Project Plans #1299

Comment

I also have been using the hockey puck with good results. I borrowed a pair of the vice grip style and couldn't get it to work right for me. The guy I borrowed them from gets excellent results and can't get mine to work for him to save his life. Different strokes for different folks. Try loosening the pressure on the rollers of the vice grip style and see if the line goes away.
          Joe
          Scratch-building 4-place #1231
          Almost Wyoming region of Nebraska

Comment

Definitely too much pressure. About all one is trying to do is tip the edge very gently & lightly so that when it is riveted that it is tight closed edge with no lifting. Set it lighter & draw the tool down the edge a couple of times & it will give you a nice even tipped edge without lines & be barely visible. If you have to pull hard then release it some more. You could practice with no pressure and adjust it until there is a good edge. Over tipped edges with a bit of a corner will show up more than you want and will look not so great after they are riveted. The seam gets a reverse curve because the metal wants to sit high & then the rivets force it down. Over tipped edges will accent the seam even more when it is nicer to barely see them. Less is more.
            Good luck.

Glenn
            BH727

Comment

Yep, what he ^^^^^ said....
              Project Plans #1299

Comment

I made a copy of the hockey puck with shower door rollers, and I found that I had the best results if I didn't try to make the whole bend in one pass. This might be worth trying on yours too MIke, maybe two or three passes with increasing clamp pressure.

Comment

Working...
                X