Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimple die spec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimple die spec?

I'm starting on my boot cowl work, which is among the first dimpled flush riveting I'll be doing. I was about to order up a squeezer and some dimple dies for 1/8 and 3/32 AN426. The dimple die/punch set also has a length dimesion associated with it. What does this mean?

DIMPLE PUNCH & DIE SET (3/32" AN426 x 1/8" L) - Complete Punch & Die Set. 100 Degrees for use with 3/32 AN426 Rivets. Body length: 1/8. Body diameter: 1/2. Can be used in hand squeezer or block set. Made of stressed steel. Standard .187 (3/16) shank.

3/32 AN426 x 1/8 L

Is that the overall length of the die body itself? I see other versions with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" length. Am I correct in assuming these all make the same depth dimple, but the die body positions the punch/cup further from the squeezer yoke?

Thanks.

Zane, some squeezers are not adjustable, so you have to use 3/16 washers to shim the length of squeeze. The different sized dies make it easier to not have to use so many washers. If your squeezer is adjustable, then you can use any size that will fit, but with what we are doing, I suspect they would all work. I believe mine were all 3/8.
    Last edited by jaredyates; 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jared.

Comment

Zane: Some of the squeezers in the CP-214 style have adjustable set holders on them so you don't have to fiddle with washers or various set lengths. Even some of the alligator units are set up the same. There are adapters available to use the snap in sets on them, or there are snap in shafts that can be installed.. Well worth the extra bucks at times. Some of our fixed movement CP's at work took threaded sets, but we also had adapters to convert over to snaps too.

Just went out in into the garage and looked. My CP-351 and my floor based unit are both set up with adjustable shafts for the snap in sets.

Comment

Working...
        X