Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horizontal Stab struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal Stab struts

Hey everyone

I built the horizontal stabilizer support struts on my BH4 as per the plans with the ends flattened, drilled through, reinforced with a welded washer, etc. I didn't really like that as now I'm stuck with a fixed incidence on the horizontal stab unless I make new struts. Then I saw on a QB kit that the fuselage end of the struts have a threaded rod and a clevis fork. Why didn't I think of that ????

Anyway, the question: what should I use for that threaded rod when modifying my struts? 4130 rod and cut my own threads? I'm not crazy about cut threads in such a critical location. Should I get an AN490 threaded rod end, grind off the cadmium, and weld it in? Suggestions welcome.

Mark Goldberg: what do you use in the factory?

Thanks
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

AN490 with the 1/4" threads used on a AN665-34. Mark

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for that, Mark!
      -------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Patrol plans spec a short piece of 5/16 x 0.058 tubing used as a bushing for the attach-points for horiz-stab struts. The drawings for strut-ends show 1/4" holes in the fabricated ends of the struts. The ID of the 5/16 tube calculates to be 0.1965. So just what kind of hardware is used to attach struts to the horiz-stab?

Comment

Bergy, P.21 of the plans shows the strut, and its attachment on both ends with and AN3 bolt. Is that what your asking about?
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
          X