Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless steel sheet for firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel sheet for firewall

Can someone please educate me regarding which version of stainless steel to use for the firewall. ACS has what they call "half hard." How does it compare with anything else? The stainless sheeet I've used in the past is difficult re starting the drilling of holes. Thanks.

I used Titanium sheet I found at an online surplus metal center that specializes in the material. It wasn't terribly expensive(less than $50).

I first made a mock up firewall out of Aluminum and then transferred the outline and match drilled the holes in the final firewall.

I used Cobalt bits for drilling the smaller holes, a step drill for the "mid size: holes, and a hole saw for the heater passage without any real issues..

Comment

That's cool BTAZ. What was the name of the supplier? I priced ti and it was way more expensive than SS, like several hundred $ more, and I even searched online for a less expensive place to buy it.

If I recall correctly ACS has the same stuff that Bob calls out in the plans. That's what I used.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

A place called Titanium Metal Supply in Poway, CA.

Online store here: https://store.tmstitanium.com/produc...m-sheet-plate/

Note I have an LSA so the sheet size was smaller then a 4 place. I found one only a couple inches larger than what I needed and in the thinnest allowed(.016 or .017" IIRC)

They have a 3'x4'x.017" piece here https://store.tmstitanium.com/produc...de-48.100-long for about $70 It is "Commercially Pure" which should be the easiest to work with though mine was the 6AL-4V which I didn't have any problem with.

Comment

Working...
        X