Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Interim Shop Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Interim Shop Progress

Started working on the shop this weekend. I have enough small-ish stuff that I can work on that I can still do the work in the basement. As you may recall, I was working on spars before I moved.

After removing a wall in an unfinished space, I have a shop that’s roughly 20x18 now. I’ll be building an L-shaped bench around the perimeter. There is a substantial egress window in the space as well, so I’ll be able to get the spars out through there if the normal stairs don’t work out.

The room had no electrical, so I added four 20A circuits for normal 115V stuff, and a 50A 230V circuit for my welder. I also lit it up like WalMart with five 8-foot LED fixtures. Arguably the brightest spot in the house, even when it’s full sun in the living room.

I looked at doing full cabinetry in there to make it a “fancy” shop, but at $1820 just for cabinets, I decided to go the cheap route and build a framework type like I had in my other shop. So far, I have less than $200 in materials in it, and I haven’t yet run out of lumber.

I’ll put progress here as I go as an idea space for others who work in a small shop. I plan to get creative with storage in the process.

The photos today are of the long wall, about 19’4”, which is where the spars will be built. I plan it to be 3’ deep in top, so there’ll be a 1-foot overhang on this bench top so I have place to fasten jigs and such without interference from the framework below.

Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 02-19-2018, 09:46 AM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Nice! Keep us posted.
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

First base finished. Time to get started on #2.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Base #2 is done now. Time to get moving on bench tops. 3/4” MDF is the plan.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Hi Chris! The shop is looking good. Hopefully you'll soon be posting about 'riveting parties' and such.
          I've looked at your pictures a few times and wondered, so I just have to ask; Why do the 120v duplex receptacles have emt runs, but the 240v 50 amp receptacle is fed by bare romex??

Chris, it's been bugging me...

Bill

Comment

It a good question!

The 120V outlets are mounted to exterior concrete foundation walls. The 230V outlet is on an interior studded wall. If I had firred out the exterior walls, I could have gone with bare romex as well. But I’d have lost some valuable floor space and I liked the way the concrete walls looked.
            Christopher Owens

Comment

P.S. - I, too, am looking forward to riveting parties! Time to get this first spar put together!
              Christopher Owens

Comment

Got the bench tops cut and fitted this weekend. Need to fasten them to the top, but like the way things are coming together. Three-foot deep bench on the long wall, and two feet on the short wall.

MDF is awesome stuff. Just ask my wife’s car.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Shop is looking good!

PS - my wife’s car always looks like that from the gravel road we live on... She thinks it’s normal. Please don’t tell her otherwise!
                  Jim Parker
                  Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                  RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I can visualise a 2 foot wide matching shelf up about 30 inches above the benchtops.
                    Beware though.... pegboard..... in certain climates makes the perfect home for an uncontrolled population of spiders.
                    As me how I know :-) And yo can never seem to get them killed chemically behind there......
                    Wow - all that looks great ! You could put florescent lights on the underside to the shelf for extra bench illumination.

T

Comment

Bench tops are fastened and got some storage started. Of course, I bought out all of Menards' drawers and will have to wait for the next shipment. But it gives me a place to start unloading boxes of parts, fasteners, and other things of the sort.

Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 03-25-2018, 01:36 PM.
                      Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
                      X