Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool organization and storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool organization and storage

My toolbox is a continuous work in progress, but here are a few items I made in addition to my cleco storage system to help keep my toolbox organized and to help me to not lose tools. (My cleco storage idea can be found here: https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/too...-cleco-storage)

I would love to see what other ideas y'all have come up with too.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by SteveF; 03-28-2018, 10:59 PM.

Countersink organizer rack. Similar construction to my Unibit rack above, but I needed to add a third piece of sheetmetal due to varying shaft lengths.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

I decided to store my drill bits vertically to minimize their footprint in my drawer and save space. The 1/4" drill bits were about 1/8" too long for my drawer so I ended up grinding the shaft end down so they fit in my drawer.
      I have 10 drill bits in each tube, except for the 1/4" which only has 9. I count them every time I finish a job and also before I lock my box up to leave, just to make sure I didn't leave any in the aircraft, in the cordless drill or drill press, or lost it somewhere else.
      These are the sizes used for rivet holes and screw holes, and therefore the most common drill bits I use. The 1/4" is used occasionally too, but not for rivets obviously! Haha! It is also stored in a different colored tube since it is a fractional drill bit, not a numbered drill bit like the rest are.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by SteveF; 03-28-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I made this little box to hold my microstop countersink and threaded pilot cutter bits. It's nice to have them neatly packaged together instead of rolling free all over the drawer.
        This gallery has 4 photos.
        Last edited by SteveF; 03-28-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

You guys are going to miss out on all the fun of spending 10 minutes looking for a tool that you only put down (somewhere) 30 seconds ago........

Comment

Uh...
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

• Bdflies
              Bdflies commented
              Editing a comment
              Chris (don't tell anybody), if you had just an inkling of how much fun we have around here...you'd move! 😎

Bill

• Chewie
              Chewie commented
              Editing a comment
              You two have outdone my casual post! See, aren't you glad you can see comments? Poor Tapatalk folks...

• Chris In Milwaukee
              Chris In Milwaukee commented
              Editing a comment
              Comments are where the gold is mined!

SteveF, your organization looks great! I can't improve on any of that, but I'll offer a thought about the micro-countersinks; Long ago, I realized how much time I wasted every time I switched sizes of countersinks in the tool. I had to find appropriate scraps, drill holes, adjust setting until it was just right. Then, change size and go through the process all over again... I bit the bullet and bought two more of the micro-countersink tools. Now, I have a #40, #30 and #21 all set up and adjusted, ready to go. I know the tools aren't particularly cheap, but the time saved has more than made it up (in my mind).

Bill

Comment

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              That makes total sense!
          Working...
          X