Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lycoming O540

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lycoming O540

Hi all. Just a quick question to those in the know. I'm in the early stages of overhauling my O540. It has a A1D5 designation which means it is rated at 250 hp at 2575 rpm. I don't have a prop yet so can still source an appropriate prop for the designation I have.

So here is my question: should I stay with the current designation or should I convert the engine to A4D5 to accomodate the compact hub Hartzell props? And if I then go there, should I then go for the E4A5 that delivers 260hp at 2700rpm?

Any views on this as I suppose prop availability will be be major deciding factor with some consideration for the additional 10hp.

Thanks

Check if you got the heavy crank, not all can go to 2700rpm

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      I may be wrong but I believe other than counterweight configurations the O-540 cranks are all the same for parallel valve engines, the IO-540 angle valve engine crank is heavier.

Originally posted by vrooyeri View Post
    Hi all. Just a quick question to those in the know. I'm in the early stages of overhauling my O540. It has a A1D5 designation which means it is rated at 250 hp at 2575 rpm. I don't have a prop yet so can still source an appropriate prop for the designation I have.

So here is my question: should I stay with the current designation or should I convert the engine to A4D5 to accomodate the compact hub Hartzell props? And if I then go there, should I then go for the E4A5 that delivers 260hp at 2700rpm?

Any views on this as I suppose prop availability will be be major deciding factor with some consideration for the additional 10hp.

Thanks
    It would be best to acquire or at least commit to a particular propeller. Then when doing the overhaul you can have the correct counterweights installed for it. Reminds me that I need to check with lycoming to see if 3-blade MT needs the counterweights on my B4B5 engine.

Comment

IO-540 C4 B5 have the heavy crank

Comment

Working...
      X