Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas caps

The drawing of the gas cap is very good with one exception and this is mentioned in the narrative that you can loosen it to much and the bottom can fall into the tank. If the screw portion were extended 3/16 a hole could be drilled across and safety wire installed to prevent that from happening. Enough, time to make new screws.

My factory gas caps have that hole you mention and I have a cotter pin it said hole which keeps them together.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I did the same when I made mine. Left the center a bit longer than the plans and cross drilled for a cotter pin.

Comment

I drilled mine for the cotter key but I fastened a short length of chain with safety wire and a tee on the end to keep the cap fastened to the wing. Don’t know which will be worse to loose the cap or have the cap roll on the wing skin and damage the wing skin in the event it comes out.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
        alaskabearhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        I certainly don't want a loose cap beating the crap out of my top wing skin...

That’s a good idea!

Comment

I have discovered another problem with my gas caps. I could not get the vent hole to line up consistently forward when tightened. My solution was to install a roll pin in the bottom portion of the gas cap (press fit), and a loose fit in the top portion to keep the two lined up. When I install the gas cap in the same position as it came out the vent will line up

Comment

Working...
        X