Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spar question

The picture I attempted to attach shows a flaw I found in my rear spar end plate. The inboard 5/32" hole was apparently misaligned when I drilled it to final size. I did not have this problem with the same hole in the rib attach angles, cap strips, or spar web. I could use a 3/16" rivet here but I would worry about edge distance in the cap strip since it's only designed to have 1/4" edge distance to begin with. It wouldnt take long to make a new plate, but is there a better way to proceed? On a different note, I just took delivery of a tailwheel from Eric Newton. I took one look at it and laughed at myself for even thinking about making it myself. Its quality work! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hi Nich,
    26 views and none of us has stepped up with advice yet. That sounds like a good reason to go to Bob for the answer on this one, please let us all know what he would have to say.
    Mark J

Comment

Hi Nich,
      Based on my 26 years as a professional aircraft structures mechanic I would make a new plate. The major aircraft manufacturer that I worked for in their service center would not have allowed that to go on an aircraft. There will be some people that will tell you that a rivet will fill that hole with no problem but don't do it. If it was a wingtip screw hole no big deal but it is the spar attach point fitting. Just suck it up and make a new one. If I was going to buy the airplane from you I would not want it if it is not built to the proper standards.
      I got to get back to work..
      Good luck,
      Swaid
      Fixnflyr,
      Patrol Scratch build #262

Comment

Working...
      X