Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AeroQuip 303 Hose Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AeroQuip 303 Hose Ends

I know that this is common knowledge to a lot of you guys, but in case someone is struggling like me, here is how I solved the problem. I was trying to install the 491 hose fittings on the hose. I visited Eric Newton's site and noted his comments and fotos. After about 3 or 4 hours of trying, I gave up. I decided to visit Newton's site again, thinking I missed something. Now Mr. Newton is a young, stout fella. I am 78 years old and weigh about 135 Lbs. Uh oh. Next day, a friend came by to see my progress. Here is how he solved the issue for me. 1) After cutting the hose with your whiz wheel, use a razor blade (Xacto knife) to bevel the inside of the hose just a little. This will make it easier to start Fitting Insert into the hose. 2)Put the Fitting Base on the hose like Newton shows you - Fitting Base goes in the vise, and screw the hose on CCW until it bottoms and then back off a little. 3)Put the Fitting Base back into the vise vertically instead of horizontally. 4)Take you 9/16ths deep well socket, and your ratchet (if you don't have a big enough drill) with a small piece of wood so you can press down hard and slip it onto the Mandrell/ Insert and Nut. 5)Using the wood to press the on the ratchet, begin to screw the Mandrel/Insert-Cap into the hose. When it catches (you can tell right away), screw it in (you don't have to lean on the wood anymore) until there is a little less than 1/16th clearance between the Fitting Base and the Cap. Ta-Da!

Rolly: Use a little glycerine or some mild hand cream or hydraulic fluid on the end of the threaded portion of the fitting to ease it going into the hose.. Rinse the hose out with a little fuel or hydraulic fluid when both ends are complete.

Comment

I STRONGLY recommend taking time to investigate each hose-end you assemble, for partial blockages. Minimum requirement is to run a rod through the hose and ensure it's totally clear.

I ended up with some rubber grommets being formed by the assembly process. These came free and collected in the end-fitting of the smallest fuel line. Compressed air and flushing didn't identify/remove the problem. These restricted fuel flow enough to starve the engine at 1400 RPM. Had this problem presented in-flight instead of during testing, it could have been serious.

Comment

Working...
      X