Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Root ribs stiffener angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root ribs stiffener angles

Are there stiffeners on both sides of the doubled ribs? I thought I read a recent post where someone had only put stiffeners on one side, but couldn't find this post when I ran a search.

I recall reading a long time ago that they weren't called for on both sides (at least on the 4 place), though many put them on anyway. Probably from a newsletter or the old Yahoo list shortly after the wing loading test that lead to the double root rib.

Mark J

Comment

I put them on both sides....
      Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
      Project Plans #1299
      N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

I made enough for both sides but have not gotten the ribs primed yet so they are not riveted on yet.
        Joe
        Scratch-building 4-place #1231
        Almost Wyoming region of Nebraska

Comment

I put them on both sides. Now I want to double check my plans to see if it was necessary. Was a bit of a pain since I couldn't get my squeezer in there with stiffeners on both sides.
          Phil Schaefer
          Patrol #073
          Working on Spars

Comment

The old Yahoo discussion consensus was they were needed on one side only and were typically put on the root side. The kit wings only have them on one side according to the old discussion. Also, keep in mind the support for the flap torque tube runs between the double up ribs and the adjacent center rib....

I only put them on the root side of my personal build.

Comment

Yep, just checked my plans. I'll be drilling out the rear stiffeners on my root ribs. The Patrol calls for an 0.040" aluminum angle on the inside of the root rib to bolt the torque tube bracket to, I suppose the other option would be to reverse the direction of the angle and butt it up against the stiffener I already have there. Back to back. If there's enough room between there and the lightening hole.
              Phil Schaefer
              Patrol #073
              Working on Spars

Comment

Working...
              X