Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door post and windshield wing root covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door post and windshield wing root covers

I had some small pieces of carbon fiber left over from building the doors so thought I would put them to use. I didn't realize until I started making a pattern that the cover for the wing root area of the windshield would need a 3/4" lip on the bottom side to seal off that area. Forms can be real simple. For the door post covers I used a piece of 7/8" tubing and 1 1/4" plywood. I was able to get a much nicer fit than I would have using aluminum. The real fun will be accurately cutting a 2" hole at the wing roots for the Cessna style vents. Instead of clear coating the carbon I will paint it the same color as the rest of the interior.

DSCF1372.JPGDSCF1377.JPGDSCF1383.JPGDSCF1382.JPG
    Last edited by rodsmith; 09-28-2021, 08:38 PM.

That door post to windscreen interface really looks good! Not quite following what you said about a lip required at the wing root. Is that the area on top of your carbon post cover in the last picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Pbruce View Post
      That door post to windscreen interface really looks good! Not quite following what you said about a lip required at the wing root. Is that the area on top of your carbon post cover in the last picture?
      The underside of the wing root cover needs a lip from the door post cover to the leading edge to seal that area. You can sort of see it in the 2nd picture.

Comment

I have no idea what I'm talking about since I'm decades from this step, but for the thru holes for the vents, could you cut them now out of oversize material for the root cover, then mark, trim and form the cover after?
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          That would probably be a good way to do it.
      Working...
      X