Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piano Hinge Pin Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano Hinge Pin Hack

If you get a stubborn hinge pin consider the following

I managed to pass a 72 inch stainless pin thru a stainless hinge with no assistance except a drill, and some lubricant

1. Apply oil to length of pin (except the end you are working with)
    2. If you have a second short length of pin place it in the opposite side for alignment
    3. Apply a tiny drop of lube to each hinge loop ( much like you would a bicycle chain)
    4. Take the tip you are passing to your sander and make it pointy but not sharp.
    5. Hook the other end up to the chuck of your drill
    6. Drive the wire in short bursts back while loosely aligning the loops w your other hand.
    7. Depending on the geometry of what u are working on the drill may get in the way as u approach the last few inches. Remove the drill tap the rest in w block of hard wood and mallet. Alternatively start w a longer than needed pin and cut off the excess pin needed to bend the drill away from the surface of what u are working on.

Perhaps this is common knowledge and I just figured it out the hard way.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by OfTheWolf; 03-13-2022, 11:02 PM.

Looks like you’re building a brake. I’ll be needing this advice shortly for the same thing. Thanks.
    4-Place Model 'B' Serial 1529B (with many years to go...)

Comment

Yes I am nearly done w the 8 ft brake need to bend the spars. Just need to add the handle. Below are the plans I and others have used. The designer of the brake commented on the difficulty of passing such a long pin through the hinge. He eventually cut the pin in half to help. Others have attempted two smaller hinges.

davesbrakeplans.pdf

Comment

Working...
      X