Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Push-Pull Control Nut Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Push-Pull Control Nut Wrench

Hey All...

Here is a nice little DIY project that will save money and maybe some aggravation. I needed to tighten the 1in nut that secures the engine control cables and is located behind the panel. McFarlane sells a tool set for this purpose (https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...oduct/TOOL132/) I thought I could maybe come up with something just by using off the shelf parts.

I went to the Home Depot Aerospace Supply Center and bought a Husky 1in socket and a 3/4-10 coupling nut. The threaded portion of the control is 3/4in in diameter so I drilled out the coupling nut using a 7/8ths drill bit so I had plenty of clearance. I then needed to do the same with the socket, but it's tool steel and needed to make the metal softer. I used my OA setup and heated the socket until it was orange, then let it cool naturally. That took all the hardness out of the steel and I drilled the center out using the same 7/8th in drill bit. I cleaned off the zinc coating on the coupling nut and using a long bolt with some washers on each end I clamped the now drilled out coupling nut to the socket and TIG welded the two together. After that had cooled I cut a 3/8ths in slot along the length of the tool so it can pass over the cable. I cleaned it up, gave it a shot of clear satin and now I had a tool for that pesky nut behind the panel. It worked perfectly and it was less than $10 for materials. Hope this helps someone...

20220727_141541.jpg20220727_141555.jpg20220727_141606.jpg20220727_171522.jpg20220727_171504.jpg20220727_171700.jpg
Working...
X