Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alton Bay Ice Runway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alton Bay Ice Runway

Short trip over to Alton Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee in upper New Hampshire. It's the only FAA sanctioned ice runway in the lower 48, only open for a few weeks. Saturday was a beautiful day and quite a few planes came in. Little town of Alton does a nice job hosting the pilots flying in, lots of coffee and hot chocolate available. Hang out with other pilots, ice fisherman and snowmobilers for a while, get a bite and off we go - good time.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

That's wild

Comment

Very cool, Dave. Way to represent the Bearhawk. Alton Bay is getting a lot of press right now.

Comment

An NBC crew was over there Tuesday doing a little piece on the runway. The NH pilots association sent out an urgent request for a pilot to fly in and be interviewed. By the time I got the message they had several takers but flew over anyway. I didn't see any Bearhawk footage in the piece though. That 15 min of fame must still be down the road.
        While most of New England is hoping for an end to this winter's deep freeze, a group of pilots are just fine with remaining frozen.

Comment

That's awesome. You've just added another item to my bucket list.

Comment

I'm waiting for my day to do this:

Decided to fly up to the Apostle Islands Lakeshore yesterday to see the ice caves that I have been hearing so much about. Last year they became quite the rage with over 138,000 people going to see them. They opened for this season yesterday...

It's going to be a short season for us this year. But I'm getting my Bearhawk out there on skis, no matter what!
            Christopher Owens
            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

That was a good write up. Chris, you have your Bearhawk on skis? Tell us more. A couple of us are looking at Datum.

Comment

I have my Bearhawk in a small pile of aluminum wing parts in the basement. But one day...

I was preparing myself for TrickAir skis. Alas, they're closing the doors after this winter.
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
                X