Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackrock's Airplane Camping Photo Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackrock's Airplane Camping Photo Collection

This is collection of photos taken mostly in Idaho with some from other states such as Nevada, Montana, and Washington. We've really been utilizing the Bearhawk and having a ball with it. Many of these photos are from a 17-day trip my wife, Rose and I took with the BH. We were loaded with enough supplies to be fully self sufficient for 20 days. Although that was overkill as we stopped at several backcountry lodges when we were too lazy to cook.

Enjoy,
    Blackrock
    The Internet's visual storytelling community. Explore, share, and discuss the best visual stories the Internet has to offer.
    Last edited by Blackrock; 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM.

Those big tires are looking as large as ever!

What airspeed are you cruising at, for a given power setting?

Can you recall what airspeed loss the tail wheel accounted for? I like that T/W, I think I need one.

Comment

Thanks Mike. Inspiration for next summer. Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
        Those big tires are looking as large as ever!

What airspeed are you cruising at, for a given power setting?

Can you recall what airspeed loss the tail wheel accounted for? I like that T/W, I think I need one.

I fly 3-sizes of main tires and 2 tailwheels. The main sizes are 8:50x6, 29x6, and 35x10. The 29's and 35's are Alaskan Bushwheels (ABW). The tail wheels are a Scott 2500 or ABW Baby Bushwheel (BBW) which is based on the 2500. The plane mostly lives on the 29's and BBW. However, the 35's go on and off depending on the flying I'm planning to do. It's about a 30 to 45 minute swap so goes pretty quick.

The 29's slowed me down about 6-mph over the 8:50's at 5,000 feet, above 8,000ft it is much less. I run 19 squared and about 125 mph at 8,000ft on the 29's. The 35's? Who cares as they only go on to play off-field. I'd say they have cost me about 9-mph at 5,000ft but that's just a guess. I didn't make any speed trials for the BBW only so no idea about the penalty, but it can't be much.

The BBW is great, no sinking into soft ground.

The best all around ABW sixe is the 31x6. Russ and Andy Boyd have that size on their Bearhawk (Peter Steven's build), and I like them better than the 29's for an all-around tire. The 29's are very good though, and I can land them a lot of places. The 35's are fantastic and a blast to go off-field with!, not really a x-country tire though.

Hope that helps,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TrueAirSpeed View Post
          Thanks Mike. Inspiration for next summer. Terry.

Hi Terry,

It always helps to see what the reward at the end of a build can bring. What point are you at with yours; sounds like you are getting very close?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrock View Post

I fly 3-sizes of main tires and 2 tailwheels. The main sizes are 8:50x6, 29x6, and 35x10. The 29's and 35's are Alaskan Bushwheels (ABW). The tail wheels are a Scott 2500 or ABW Baby Bushwheel (BBW) which is based on the 2500. The plane mostly lives on the 29's and BBW. However, the 35's go on and off depending on the flying I'm planning to do. It's about a 30 to 45 minute swap so goes pretty quick.

The 29's slowed me down about 6-mph over the 8:50's at 5,000 feet, above 8,000ft it is much less. I run 19 squared and about 125 mph at 8,000ft on the 29's. The 35's? Who cares as they only go on to play off-field. I'd say they have cost me about 9-mph at 5,000ft but that's just a guess. I didn't make any speed trials for the BBW only so no idea about the penalty, but it can't be much.

The BBW is great, no sinking into soft ground.

The best all around ABW sixe is the 31x6. Russ and Andy Boyd have that size on their Bearhawk (Peter Steven's build), and I like them better than the 29's for an all-around tire. The 29's are very good though, and I can land them a lot of places. The 35's are fantastic and a blast to go off-field with!, not really a x-country tire though.

Hope that helps,
            Mike
            Thanks for the info Mike,

I do definitely agree about the tail wheel.
            I have been to countless river bars, beaches, and muddy spots in the last 18 months. The mains float happily atop the surface if I can walk on it, but my tail wheel digs a trench like a pick-axe. Sounds like a need to upgrade.
            It makes taxiing a real chore, and means a LOT more power to taxi and a LOT more prop damage...

My friends tell me over and over that I have no excuse not for running 29's. Sounds like a consistent 4-5kts penalty for them, but obviously a whole lot of off airport benefits. I would love to have some.
            Personally, I am content with my 26"s. If you push the limits, they go 90% of the places the bigger tires go. That last 10% are often pretty risky spots for a large 4-place aircraft, at least in our country - we don't have places to land on the open prairie / tundra like you guys do. Usually needing bigger tires means BIG riverbed rocks.
            Last edited by Battson; 08-18-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Blackrock
              Blackrock commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, and the bigger tires increase prop clearance, too.

Mike, very inspirational! did you have to modify the fairing on the trailing edge of the landing gear legs to accomodate the larger tires?
            -nick

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Blackrock
              Blackrock commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Nick,

Long story, but I wound up with a set of gear legs already modified. However, we modified Andy's and Russ's plane after the legs were covered and without recovering them. We just cut the fabric then cut/welded the former and repaired the fabric. Latter kits may include that mod, I understand.
          Working...
          X