Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Flying

Ok, here is a really fun video and no to/landings this time. I've had this for a while but haven't posted since any normal people will who see this will think I have a screw loose or something. I probably do, but anyway enjoy. I might add this happened by chance. I was in the area one late afternoon and the conditions were absolutely perfect. Winds were light at about 3mph and variable, OAT of about 60F and altitudes between, I'm guessing 9 to 11k feet. So given that, I was able to fly here without any concerns about winds pushing me around, downdrafts, etc. It was like riding on rails, and the BH just handles this so well; it is a joy to fly such a responsive aircraft. Which is another factor in some of the flying I do; there are only a few other types of planes I'd be comfortable doing this in; many I would not.

Mike
    This is "Over the Rainbow" by Mike Creek on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

This is a typical flight to a favorite of mine, Moose Creek, Idaho. We made a stop at Sulphur Creek Ranch for breakfast, then continued on our way. There was about 45 gallons of fuel on board and lots of camping gear in back and two people up front when we left Sulphur Creek which is about 6k in elevation. So we were pretty heavy.
    Moose creek is such an amazing destination. Besides the airstrip and camping areas being great as a wilderness destination, the river is amazingly clear with excellent…
    Last edited by Blackrock; 09-14-2015, 09:01 PM. Reason: Updated video to get rid of annoying flash. This video is also contained in the next post.

Comment

he video below condenses an hour plus flight in the Bearhawk into 4 minutes; Sulphur Creek Ranch to Moose Creek. For those used to flying Idaho, no doubt you've done at least a good portion of this flight and it's no big deal. For those who haven't, you might enjoy the scenery and terrain. Moose Creek is a great wilderness destination but primitive camping only.

Shearer airstrip comes up on the left before arriving at Moose Creek.
      This is "Sulphur Moose" by Mike Creek on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Good stuff, Blackrock!

Comment

Thanks Zzz! Always appreciate feedback so it is great to hear that. I know people are watching these, but not much in the way of responses. All, don't hesitate to comment if you'd like too or if you have questions.

Comment

I love them! Being a flatlander, it's great seeing how the other half lives. One day I'm going to fly out there!
            Christopher Owens
            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Videos are what keep me motivated on my build. My wife just walked though the room while I was watching one of yours and shook her head and asked "how much do those gopros cost? The first thing your going to buy when the plane is done"

Doug
              Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Hey Chris and DRL,

Those are excellent comments, thanks for posting!

And it's not just the GoPro; then you need mounts, extra batteries, a case for the camera and all the related "stuff" . It multiplies - they have a good business model.

Comment

As I'd mentioned earlier, I just earned (really earned - well it was challenging to me!) my tailwheel endorsement recently, so I especially like watching your technique in all of these situations. So keep them coming! It's a learning experience!
                  Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM.
                  Christopher Owens
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                  Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                  Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

We had been immersed in smoke/haze in Elko for the past month or so. Yesterday was the first good clear day we've had in a long time. We took two Bearhawks (Kevin and Cathy's, and mine) for a fantastic late afternoon flight over the peaks of the Ruby Mountains, just 15 minutes by air East of Elko Nevada.
                    This is "Ruby Mountains 2X" by Mike Creek on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Beautiful country, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X