Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Hero 3+ testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beanforge, looks like fun! How much SMC (smokey meteorological conditions) do you end up flying in?! ...and a windshield sprayer! :-)

Comment

Not as much as you'd think. Some places are worse than others (Boise, Missoula and Fairbanks come to mind...) We've spent all day shooting approaches into MSO fighting a fire in VFR conditions. Most of the time, without an inversion or a collapsed column, we're in good air and working around a column. Sometimes you just can't avoid it when there are "campaign" fires widespread. Many times the smoke you are dealing with isn't from the fire you are fighting.

The sprayer is a life saver. They used to mount them right on the windshield. Now they are way out on the nose. You can yaw the plane around and get your side windows. It's handy for removing soot, bugs and the retardant that occasionally escapes the top vent.

-Jason
      Jason Chastain
      McCall, ID
      BH #1329

Comment

Great stuff, Tyson. Thanks for posting.

I personally would love to see more footage shot from within the cockpit. As a pilot, I just find it more interesting to see the pilot doing stuff, vs just the tip of the cowling in the shot. As a BH builder, I like to see panels and interiors.

As for prevention of the prop artifacts, I use a device by Snake River Prototyping that snaps over your GoPro housing and lets you screw on any 55mm camera filter you want. That means you can also stack the. See the video I shot from Mike Creek's BH below. Here's another video shot from a Sport Cub that I fly:

GoPro footage of arriving at BCP Powers fly-in 2013, and having a little fun in the pattern and slow flight on the huge runway, since the camp was at the far...

The filter is a Tiffen 55mm circular polarizer, and not only does it reduce the light enough to cause the GoPro to alter its exposure and blur the prop, it reduces haze and can improve blue colors of the sky.

Comment

Heh... I had considered the Snake River adapter, but bought the one from the video I linked about 3 hrs before your post. I decided to try the cheap (though not as cheap as old sunglass lenses) first. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably fork out the dough for the Snake River adapter.

The best part about watching the video of your flight with Mike and noting that he may have a removable cover on his dash to allow access to the back side of the instrument panel. Mine has no such access and trying to do everything from below and behind is near impossible.

I'll see about a cockpit mount also. ;-)

Comment

I like the overhead flap handle. Sent from mobile

Comment

Working...
            X