Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idaho Backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho Backcountry

My son and I flew over to Idaho for the weekend a couple weeks ago. Took both of our dogs, camped at Johnson Creek and Upper Loon Creek. Growing up in Idaho I used to go salmon fishing with my folks in Loon Creek, it was pretty neat to go back with my grown son and hike into the area we used to spend a lot of time at about 45 years ago! Looks just about the same, even saw some salmon spawning.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.

Is that a Vans Filtered Air box that you use? What size tires? Oratex Fabric? Tell us about how you keep the wings polished. Also how do you like your MT prop?
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
      Is that a Vans Filtered Air box that you use? What size tires? Oratex Fabric? Tell us about how you keep the wings polished. Also how do you like your MT prop?
      Hi Brooks,

Yes - Vans filtered air box. Works great and pretty easy to adapt.
      Goodyear 26" tires
      Yes - Oratex fabric. Contact me directly if you want to discuss. Plusses and minuses, not sure I would do it again or not. Like how easy to repair it is and how light it is.
      Wings - polished, well unpainted anyway.... This is my utility plane. Kept it as light and utilitarian as possible. I may paint the wings someday.
      MT prop is awesome. Very smooth, pulls really well. No complaints so far other than the $$$ acquisition cost.

Steve

Comment

I love Upper Loon. Thanks for sharing the pics. Hopefully I'll see you out there next summer!
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Steve, sounds like a sweet trip for many reasons.
          How was the smoke?
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
            Steve, sounds like a sweet trip for many reasons.
            How was the smoke?
            Mark,

Good to hear from you. Smoke was bad in some places, but not nearly what you guys are going through I imagine. Sisters was bad this year too. Hope you guys are doing ok.

We originally planned Indian Creek or Thomas creek for the first night but backed off due to the smoke to Johnson creek. The following day Upper Loon was ok, but as you went down towards the middle fork it got pretty bad. I heard some folks on the radio going into Sulpher creek but it was too poor of visibility for me.

Comment

Working...
            X