Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventure of bringing my Bearhawk home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure of bringing my Bearhawk home.

Excited to announce that my new to me Bearhawk is home! This all began a short time ago with the intentions of searching for a new bush plane for Idaho. I knew I wanted to go experimental, and I knew I had to have 4 seats, the rest was in the air. After extensive research, I made the decision to purchase a Bearhawk, I was not in the position to build at this time (that will come later) so finding a prebuilt out there was the new challenge. There just happened to be 3 for sale in the Phoenix area, and with friends in that area, calls were made and visits set up. All three were fine planes and all three were very different. It set my sites on Cathy's bird down in Tucson, made the offer, and got it done. Thanks again Cathy, I know it was hard to let her go.

After getting checked out the next day for insurance purposes, my friend and fellow pilot Mike due to weather, departed in the afternoon, and began our trip north to Idaho. A real chance to shake down the aircraft and get to know her better. And what an amazing flight, and adventure it was. We headed north splitting Prescott and Flagstaff due to weather in both of those area's, once clearing the snowstorms in Flagstaff we were forced to head Northeast towards Page, low ceilings would not allow us to reach high enough altitudes for the VFR corridors to cross the Grand Canyon. So we skirted around the Eastern edge of the canyon and split Page and Marble Canyon.

Weather cleared North of the Grand Canyon, so we headed back Northwest in route to Bryce Canyon. Needing a bathroom break, we landed in Bryce canyon, topped off the main tanks, and continued our journey North. Flying the canyons over Panguitch, Junction, Richfield, we finally excited the canyon lands over Delta, and followed the dunes North for our night stop in Tooele UT, where I had family to visit, and we had some free room, and board.

The next morning Mike headed to Salt Lake to catch a cattle car home, and I headed to the airport to load up for the last leg back to Idaho. But when I arrived to the airport I realized the bottom had fallen out on the temps that night and air temp was hovering around 26F, this plane was not going to start, and with no engine and oil heaters to plug in (this aircraft has been living in AZ) I had nothing to plug in anyways, the airport was dead, no hangars to pull in, and no FBO. I figured I was done. As I sat trying to figure out what I was going to do, I walked around to see what I could find, and low and behold what did I find, and old propane BBQ grill, and a crappy lighter. I decided the most Alaska thing I could do was try and see if I could get it lit and heat the engine from underneath. And that's exactly what I did, I just prayed there was enough propane to get the job done (Sky Dive Utah, when ya open back up in the spring, I owe ya a $20) I slid it under the nose after getting it lit, popped the cowls just a little, monitored and waited, after about an hour and a half, and a mad hankering for burgers, I got CHT's and oil temps up to 55F, put everything away, cranked the engine and set off.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 14 photos.
    Last edited by AK2ID; 02-15-2018, 11:51 PM.

Ooohhh! Well yeah, that's 'eventful'! Sure am glad it all worked out that way. Coulda been a whole different story, but for some good judgement.

Bill

Comment

Great story. Also great job of keeping a level head during a stressful time. Thanks for sharing, we can all learn from situations like these. Most years a bunch of us guys here in southern California fly up to Moose Creeek for some fishing in the summer. When I make it back up there maybe we can say hello.
      Congrats on your new Bearhawk.

Comment

That’s one of the best parts about flying cross country. Always an adventure awaiting around the corner. ;-) Some good, some not so good, but always memorable! A question I have for you—who do you have your insurance with??? Congrats on your purchase, and to Cathy—making room for a new bird? I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl1 View Post
          That’s one of the best parts about flying cross country. Always an adventure awaiting around the corner. ;-) Some good, some not so good, but always memorable! A question I have for you—who do you have your insurance with??? Congrats on your purchase, and to Cathy—making room for a new bird? I hope!
          Thanks, I love cross country, always reminds me why I fly. I use Avemco.

Comment

Welcome to the Bearhawk community. Once I flew in your plane with the John, the builder, out of an airport near Anchorage. It was one of the more spectacular flights in my life. Enjoy your BH. Mark

Comment

Thanks for the report. One of your pictures made my desktop background. Beautiful! I didn't realize you get to fly that low, that close to the Grand Canyon.
              Mark
              Scratch building Patrol #275
              Hood River, OR

Comment

Great writeup, great pictures!

Comment

Congrats on a great looking plane. Love the BBQ heater picture!

Comment

Working...
                  X