Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid camping in AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid camping in AZ

Well, Phase 1 has been "officially" completed. Went better than expected. A couple of tweeks and learnings that I will detail in another post. Had a great weather window so loaded up the camping gear and headed west to Grapevine Airstrip (88AZ) in Arizona. This was a operational check of our camping gear and refresh our tent camping skills.

Camping out of the Bearhawk couldn't be any better!!! Had the place to ourselves so we were able to maintain the ultimate in social distancing!!!!

Still learning a lot on how to fly the Bearhawk which has more potential than my skills.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Very nice, that is what I am so looking forward to. Like your paint job!

Comment

Thats the Bearhawk life! Can you give more details on the steps you mounted on the gear legs? I welded in thick tabs to do something similar but haven't put much thought into the actual step yet.

Comment

The paint job is a solid C- at 50 feet. I had a lot of trouble learning how to paint in New Mexico. It was a big adjustment coming from Louisiana. I think I almost had it figured out the last 6 oz of paint I sprayed !!! Since the Bearhawk carries a load so well, thinking I may carry cones and barricade tape to keep discerning eyes at a distance . Actually I have a theory that the abundant orange peel is a speed mod (think golf ball dimples). It do go fast.

Here are a couple of pictures on my version of the step which is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 alum angle. I use the front part of the step a lot for windshield cleaning etc. And the little extra at the rear helps the wife with mounting and dismounting. Glad I did it.

DSCF1993.JPG

Look close at the shape of the 1" flat that supports the step.

Main Gear Installed (2).JPG

Hope that is helpful. There is a trick to fabric covering that area that I only realized after the fact. Sure a few rocks in the future will give me another shot at it.
        Last edited by John Bickham; 11-14-2020, 09:21 PM.
        Thanks too much,
        John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
        BH Plans #1117
        Avipro wings/Scratch
        http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your quad fan paint booth!
      Working...