Astro John
Well-known member
I purchased a Hard IFR panel from Bearhawk with dual G3Xs. I knew the AXIS was coming out, but planned to keep the G3X for a while.
That didn't last long. SNPS (Shiny New Panel Syndrome) kicked in, and I sold my G3X panels, which are finding a new home in a Bearhawk 4! There is a funny story about how that went down, but I'll save it for another day.
I was a complete Garmin newbie. Peter at Bearhawk provided me nice upgrade schematic with everything I need to do. After receiving my Axis panels, I started collecting all of the tools, connectors, and wires that I would need. I bugged Peter on numerous occasions with questions. I'm sure at some point, he regretted ever building my panel in the first place. Thanks Peter!
I had a few times where progress stopped when I realized I didn't have everything I needed, and had to order something. A competent installer, with everything on hand, could complete the process in a day. I crammed all of that into about 4 weeks.
Here is the breakdown of what I did:
I had to create 4 High Speed Data Bus Cables to go with the one already installed. I have built plenty of network cables in my time, but this was the first time I have worked with shielded cable, and shield drains.
Instead of the single power cable, I had to splice in 4 power connections the Axis uses and also add 4 more ground wires.
This was the first time I ever worked with DSUB connectors. Installing the pins is easy, but removing them is a bit tricky. Luckily, there were only 4 that I needed to remove, plus one more that I installed in the wrong spot.
The only other thing I had to do hardware wise was swap out the config module on my Primary display, and add a config module on the second display.
I have a GTN750xi, and I decided to update the software on that. It recommended a wipe of the config module. I figure I had to redo the configuration of the panels, so I might as well do the whole system.
It was a crash course on HSDB, Can bus, RS-232, and Arinc429. I spent quite a bit of time researching issues and going over schematics. In the end, I got it going, and learned a whole lot in the process. It was a nice diversion from the build. Now I just need an airplane to put it in.
One benefit is that I now have a much better understanding of how my panel was built and works. I am completely confident that I can troubleshoot and fix any issues that may arise in the future. I am glad I did it, and glad that I didn't wait until it was installed in the airplane.
That didn't last long. SNPS (Shiny New Panel Syndrome) kicked in, and I sold my G3X panels, which are finding a new home in a Bearhawk 4! There is a funny story about how that went down, but I'll save it for another day.
I was a complete Garmin newbie. Peter at Bearhawk provided me nice upgrade schematic with everything I need to do. After receiving my Axis panels, I started collecting all of the tools, connectors, and wires that I would need. I bugged Peter on numerous occasions with questions. I'm sure at some point, he regretted ever building my panel in the first place. Thanks Peter!
I had a few times where progress stopped when I realized I didn't have everything I needed, and had to order something. A competent installer, with everything on hand, could complete the process in a day. I crammed all of that into about 4 weeks.
Here is the breakdown of what I did:
I had to create 4 High Speed Data Bus Cables to go with the one already installed. I have built plenty of network cables in my time, but this was the first time I have worked with shielded cable, and shield drains.
Instead of the single power cable, I had to splice in 4 power connections the Axis uses and also add 4 more ground wires.
This was the first time I ever worked with DSUB connectors. Installing the pins is easy, but removing them is a bit tricky. Luckily, there were only 4 that I needed to remove, plus one more that I installed in the wrong spot.
The only other thing I had to do hardware wise was swap out the config module on my Primary display, and add a config module on the second display.
I have a GTN750xi, and I decided to update the software on that. It recommended a wipe of the config module. I figure I had to redo the configuration of the panels, so I might as well do the whole system.
It was a crash course on HSDB, Can bus, RS-232, and Arinc429. I spent quite a bit of time researching issues and going over schematics. In the end, I got it going, and learned a whole lot in the process. It was a nice diversion from the build. Now I just need an airplane to put it in.
One benefit is that I now have a much better understanding of how my panel was built and works. I am completely confident that I can troubleshoot and fix any issues that may arise in the future. I am glad I did it, and glad that I didn't wait until it was installed in the airplane.