Looking for advice for new plane adjustments

wbolan

Member
I finished my plane in May of this year and have been working on 2 issues and seem to be getting nowhere. It's an 4 place, O-540, magneto's. I have called and talked to Bob and Mike, but I see the same things on the forum as they have told me.

1st problem is high CHT's. First flight they were pushing 500, now I have them at ~450 on climbout but once I am at cruise they come down to less than 400. I have opened the outlet several times, created a lip, created a bigger lip, moved the exhaust to the outside edge of the tunnel, gone through the baffling several times. Nothing seems to making a huge improvement. I have read that possibly it is running too lean could be an issue, and rejetting the carb would help. I have not heard of anyone doing that on this forum. I don't have a fuel flow meter so I can't tell what the fuel flow is. I have been looking through the forum looking for idea's but maybe else has something I can try before I have to redo my cowling.

2nd issue is a "Heavy" left wing. I have been through checked the horizontal levels, adjusted, flaps, adjusted, airelons adjusted a few times. Put washer's under the lower hinge of the aileron heavy wing and light wing, but has not changed much at all, some things have made it worse and some have made it better but still left wing always wants to dive to the left when letting go of the stick. As of now when I let go of the stick the right aileron falls inline with the flap and the left is raise. I reflexed them about a 1/4 inch and the left aileron goes up about 1/2" when letting go of the stick. I can take my feet of the rudder and the ball stays centered while holding the stick and then when letting go of the stick the ball goes to the right. Running out of ideas to try, I feel like I may be missing something but cannot figure it out.

I'm not sure if it would good to do all the flight testing with these problems, or just do the flight testing as is and slowly work on the issues. I have about 20hrs on the plane now.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Congratulations on your completion!
I can share some insight on this situation having chased rigging on numerous Bearhawk’s.

That said, I am unable to have any in-depth response till later in the week.
In the meantime can you answer a few questions.

How many hours on the engine?

Left wing heavy…….
Estimate how much stick force is needed to keep wing level.
Does the heavy Increase with Speed?
At altitude slowed to flaps speeds, power idle,
Does left wing heavy change?
Any change when applying flaps 1,2,3 notch?
Do your ailerons have the large leading R at the front.
How symmetrical are the aileron to wing pocket gaps?
Do you have outboard aux tanks?
Plans or kit?

Where are you located?

Kevin D
N272DG
KCHD
 
Walter, for high CHTs, I would start by measuring the air pressure difference between the top and bottom of the engine. You can do this with a homemade manometer, which is just a single piece of clear tube with a loop and some measurement marks. If you have less than around 5 inches of water of pressure differential, then it's an airflow problem. Could be baffling, inlet, outlet, lip, etc. I suspect there are some forum threads about how to do this but if you don't see any, let me know and I can describe the process more fully.
 
Congratulations on your completion!
I can share some insight on this situation having chased rigging on numerous Bearhawk’s.

That said, I am unable to have any in-depth response till later in the week.
In the meantime can you answer a few questions.

How many hours on the engine?

Left wing heavy…….
Estimate how much stick force is needed to keep wing level.
Does the heavy Increase with Speed?
At altitude slowed to flaps speeds, power idle,
Does left wing heavy change?
Any change when applying flaps 1,2,3 notch?
Do your ailerons have the large leading R at the front.
How symmetrical are the aileron to wing pocket gaps?
Do you have outboard aux tanks?
Plans or kit?

Where are you located?

Kevin D
N272DG
KCHD
I am in Oregon, 4S9.
The engine has 15 hours tach time 20 hours plane time.
There has been varying amount of force on the stick, at one point it was very light, didn't take a lot of pressure to keep the wings level.
WIth less speed there is less force and the wing is not as heavy.
In slow flight I don't see as much pressure, I haven't played with the flaps alot but haven't noticed much of a change with them deployed. I will play around with the flaps a little more on the next flight.
I'm not sure if the ailerons have a large leading R at the front, not sure what that means.
The airelons seemed pretty symmetrical in the gaps, right now the left aileron has washer under the lower hinge bracket and it sitting higher in the gap now.
I have aux tanks, at one point I had found i had about 2 gallons of gas in the left tank, but I drained it and did not seem to make much of a difference that I noticed.

This was a kit build.

Walter B
N789CB
 
Walter, for high CHTs, I would start by measuring the air pressure difference between the top and bottom of the engine. You can do this with a homemade manometer, which is just a single piece of clear tube with a loop and some measurement marks. If you have less than around 5 inches of water of pressure differential, then it's an airflow problem. Could be baffling, inlet, outlet, lip, etc. I suspect there are some forum threads about how to do this but if you don't see any, let me know and I can describe the process more fully.
I was getting ready to start looking into it, I assume I am putting a tube above the engine and one next to the outlet? I have read some on it, just not sure where exactly the hose are going.
 
If you don't have an EGT reference I would get that, you are looking for a 1250 degree EGT in climb out.
- If you are lean in climb temps will climb very fast. If it is an overhaul motor, you could potentially have a bead internal configuration if not done by a reputable shop, mis match rings to cylinders or something of the like.
- Timing can having a really big effect on temps, double check you are not advanced to far on timing.
- If still having issues pressure differential between upper and lower cowl are the big numbers to pay attention to. This manometer will help diagnose the issues. https://www.amazon.com/EHDIS-Manome...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

hopefully some of that helps if still having issues shoot some pictures of your inlets, exits, baffles etc to info@bearhawkaircraft.com and we will take a look.
 
I will second the EGT on climbout. Mine was fine at high MAP, but I had my EFI tuned to start leaning when I got below 27", and that is when my CHT's would start to rise. Retuning to keep the EGT's signicantly lower on climb out completely fixed my CHT issue.

"Full Rich" should be 200-250+ F Rich of Peak. Higher than 250 ROP makes it cooler, and doesn't seem to affect the power. My EGT probes are 2 or 3" below the exhaust port, I can't remember which. I am now tuned to be low 1300's which works fine. Richer is definitely cooler. I have played with as low as 1250 and it definitely made it even cooler.

I have a standard compression (8.5) 540. EGT probe distance from the exhaust port is a variable.

I have never tried to measure "Peak" EGT at high power. A little searching says high 1500's at sea level, but I never found an exact number.
 
An airspeed indicator can also serve as a manometer.

Regarding Differential Pressure across the cylinders.... when know what you have and what the target is, then changes take on meaning without having any doubt. It also allows you to look elsewhere when it's right with lots of confidence.
 
Confirm your stabs are perfectly parallel with the fuse with the required angle of attack.
Make sure they are parallel, 0.0* from the root to the tip. Very easy to improperly rig the wires especially if the initial rigging was done before fabric and not checked afterwards.
For a slightly heavy wing, extend the flap pushrod on that wing 1/2 turn at a time.
If your running high egts, high 1300 to 1400, under full or climb power then you're lean or as others suggested, a timing error. I very rarely, if ever check the egt temps before setting climb power but know its never that high.

I recently went to a leaner main jet, .003 smaller and in cruise I notice a rise of 5-8* in oil temps with 24” and higher power settings and also a rise in chts.

You haven’t mentioned what your oil temps are or I missed it. One can confirm what the other is experiencing
Just my 2 cents worth.
 
It's easy to go in circles on rigging problems. I found Nev's build log to be helpful in that his write up is methodical and step wise. https://webuildplanes.com/neville/p/3203/rigging-the-bearhawk-
I also found that a cross line laser level helped a lot when I was trying to confirm the horizontal stabilizer setup. If you carefully level the wings and fuselage, projecting the right angle laser lines on the tail/stabilizer make it very easy to see small differences in the tail surfaces
 
Back
Top