N240BP

Flygirl1

Patrol#241FLYING
So I’m going to say those words I absolutely hate but understand more about using them now, but it is with a sad heart I have to say that N240BP has had an accident and it appears more work than feasible is necessary to bring it back. But never say never right?? The words I love to say though is Dennis survived what could have easily been unsurvivable. While climbing out on a lunch run one half of his prop departed the plane and we all know what happens next. Having him in site for the whole incident was, well hard to find the words. I do know if he hadn’t answered my radio call after landing, or flipped, or in anyway needed immediate help, I would have landed in that field. Mamma bear was watching! What he said to me was his engine blew up and he was landing on the ranch, which has lots of hay fields. Almost immediately the cowling blew apart and the top half along with the doors were pushed up against the windshield leaving him with no forward visibility. Not realizing the prop failed he did what he could do and fly the plane and do his best to not let it spin in. While setting up for the field the drag of the cowling greatly diminished his glide and the plane landed hard collapsing the landing gear and shoving the engine into the cabin causing the left rudder pedal to fracture his tibia and ankle enough to require surgery. But considering the possible outcome all I can think is a lesser pilot might have died. There are photos out there but I’m only posting what was and will be missed greatly. I talked with the salvage team after they had gathered it all up and for those considering a Bearhawk, his opinion of the plane construction was about the highest I’ve ever heard. He assured me that of all the planes he’s dismantled, and there have been many, this was the best he’s ever seen. One statement was “this plane has access panels where they need to be. Nobody does that!” It wasn’t just a quick comment to make us feel better, but repeated and in the end he almost made me promise if I ever sell mine, he wanted it. On that thought if anyone knows or has a Patrol or Bearhawk project for sale, we’re interested! DnD N240BP& N241BP

IMG_2079.jpeg
 
Oh No Donna! Please send our best wishes for Dennis's recovery and your own strength during this process. That sounds like a situation that Dennis has spent his whole flying career preparing for and I'm glad he did. I can only imagine the emotional soup of things you are both working through.

There will be plenty of time to sort out the plane stuff. Thank you for letting us know.
 
Oh No Donna! Please send our best wishes for Dennis's recovery and your own strength during this process. That sounds like a situation that Dennis has spent his whole flying career preparing for and I'm glad he did. I can only imagine the emotional soup of things you are both working through.

There will be plenty of time to sort out the plane stuff. Thank you for letting us know.
Oh No Donna! Please send our best wishes for Dennis's recovery and your own strength during this process. That sounds like a situation that Dennis has spent his whole flying career preparing for and I'm glad he did. I can only imagine the emotional soup of things you are both working through.

There will be plenty of time to sort out the plane stuff. Thank you for letting us know.
 
Thanks Jared! Yea, it’s one of the rougher things we’ve dealt with, but 6 weeks of healing will give us plenty of time to figure it all out. D.
 
Great job managing a difficult scenario, engine out and no forward visibility due to the cowling and doors obscuring it, Dang! Wishing Dennis a quick recovery. I’ll keep my eyes open for projects and know of a set of completed Patrol wings from a scratch builder that might be for sale in the pdx area.
Mike
 
Donna/ Dennis
So sorry to hear this, but importantly Dennis is ok and will be fine in time. Thank god for the robust BH structure, surely prevented more serious injuries.

Planes can be replaced and I am sure you will.

Jay T
 
Oh wow Donna! Thank you for sharing the details of the incident. I'm so glad Dennis will be OK. Hardware can be replaced, people not so much.
It sounds like you both handled the situation really well. Dennis instantly became a test pilot once the cowl separated, and his training and skill led to a survivable outcome. And you provided valuable top cover and completed your "suddenly stressful" flight safely. My best wishes to you both for a speedy and complete recovery.
David
 
Was very sorry to hear of this Donna. Sarah and I very much enjoyed meeting you both at Oshkosh in 2024, and seeing your beautifully built Patrols. Wish Dennis a speedy recovery.
 
Tough to hear Donna, and yet so happy to hear Dennis is well.
Let us know what you learn about the prop coming apart as well.

All our best,
Peter
 
[Peter we are 100% sure 1 of the blades along with what I think they call the shank?, came out of the hub. It was no where on site and all cylinders were on the engine. Why it came out could forever be a mystery, unless we happen to find it. That is a possibility. We were only a couple of miles from the airport and even less than that from our house. I am especially interested having it overhauled at the same time and place. One weird thing about our planes has been if one has a problem, (doesn’t seem to matter what it is), so does the other one!

QUOTE="500AGL, post: 102709, member: 1623"]
Tough to hear Donna, and yet so happy to hear Dennis is well.
Let us know what you learn about the prop coming apart as well.

All our best,
Peter
[/QUOTE]
 
I’m glad to hear that Dennis made it down in relatively good shape. That’s a scary failure mode, and it sounds like Dennis did it all the right things to get down safe. Kudos to you too for the high cover, I can’t imagine having a front row seat for something like that.

When you’re up for it I would be interested to hear more about the prop if there’s anything else to tell. I’m running a Whirlwind on the RV (~200 spoh). I know you were asking about a shop on here not too long ago so I’m guessing you were probably around that time since overhaul as well?
 
Yea, we had around 110 hrs. On the props. I’m considering a Trailblazer, but dang they’re expensive!
Hopefully the NTSB will find something to point to. A little surprised they are doing a full investigation into this. The plane , engine and propeller are experimental. Maybe it’s the insurance co. Asking for it??
Tough to hear Donna, and yet so happy to hear Dennis is well.
Let us know what you learn about the prop coming apart as well.

All our best,
Peter
I’m glad to hear that Dennis made it down in relatively good shape. That’s a scary failure mode, and it sounds like Dennis did it all the right things to get down safe. Kudos to you too for the high cover, I can’t imagine having a front row seat for something like that.

When you’re up for it I would be interested to hear more about the prop if there’s anything else to tell. I’m running a Whirlwind on the RV (~200 spoh). I know you were asking about a shop on here not too long ago so I’m guessing you were probably around that time since overhaul as well?
 
Back
Top