Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip-up Cabin Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip-up Cabin Doors

For those that are flying, I have a short poll. If you have the normal doors, do you like them? If you could do it over again would you put in the flip-up or "seaplane" doors? For those that have the seaplane doors the same questions apply. Do you like the seaplane doors? Would you do it over again or install the regular doors?

would keep the flip up doors.

Comment

Ok...in retrospect that was poorly worded. If you built it that way, you obviously wanted it that way. For those that do have the flip-up doors, what prompted you to make the modification? I was pretty set on having the flip-up doors, but I have almost talked myself out of the idea. Two reasons mainly: The threshold gets raised in an awkward area and you can't open the window on a nice day.
      Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 02-22-2014, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Lynn Riggs was building using flip up doors w/ operable flip up windows, obviously adds a little weight in framing. I tried to find pics that were out there but no joy.Curious as to anyone finding the threshold height an issue, probably a case of how limber a person is I suppose.

Mark J

Comment

Hey Marcus...

I have Lynn's pictures and what he did. Tom Oatman and Gavin Chester are two that I know of that have flying Bearhawks with the door that I know of. I know there are folks in this group that must have had experience with other aircraft with those doors, like in Piper aircraft. I think Rod Smith did his this way, but haven't heard from him in quite a while and I don't think he's flying yet. There's one more in Canada on floats, but it has been altered so much from the original design I don't even consider it a Bearhawk.

Comment

Have not found the threshold an issue .I just double checked and it is only 3" higher. I sit in the plane then grab the cross bars lift up and swing my legs in one at a time , If you have a gear leg step it gives you something to push off of as well. As for the door size , if it is warm enough to fly with half a door I think you will find a whole door even better. Just be sure to put the door latch within your reach for locking to the wing.
            Last edited by Gavin Chester; 12-02-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

If you get a chance take a look at what Colin Campbell did on his Bearhawk doors. He angled the front door opening to allow the doors to swing open without the need to the little trap door to clear the wing strut. Pretty slick. Maybe Colin will read this and post a picture. I had a picture but my computer crapped out and I lost everything.
              Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
              Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
              http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

As Eric said, I modified the doors on my 4-place. Actually they look the same as the Patrol. It does away with the little trap door ("mouse door" as we have called it". I really like the simplicity and have never regreted doing it this way.

Collin Campbell N370CC, 4-place, N180PB Patrol
                Bolivar, MO
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Collin, I REALLY like what you have done here. can you post more information on how you went about this MOD as I would like to incorporate it into my build. Thanks!
                  Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
                  Project Plans #1299
                  N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Dave,

I could only find one other picture, it is one taken in the early stages of constructing the door. Shows a little more detail I think. Basically I just added a "hinge post former" (for lack of a better way to describe it) with the bottom moved aft 8". The former has to have some curvature on the outside to match the fuselage in this area. I made a form block and hammered it out just like the other formers. This makes the door "shorter" at the bottom, the top of door stays the same. This makes the door swing sort of downward, which is good...helps hold it open so you're not fighing it trying to get in. Some have questioned whether or not I am giving up some "legroom" at the forward door opening. But I have not noticed it ever being a problem. The door really opens wide, even wider at the top than the standard arrangement. That's about all I can think of now. The picture doesn't show the little brace tube you will need in the door to avoid the fabric shrinking issues.

Collin
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Collin, thank you for the picture and additional information. Would you have a picture from the outside with the door closed?

Thanks!
                      Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
                      Project Plans #1299
                      N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Here's a couple of more shots of the door outside.

Collin
                        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X