Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Options

I just hung my engine and am looking for exhaust options. I have a "Bob built" O-360 parallel case with angle valve cylinders. The mounts are conical not dynafocal. The case is a B1E(intake in the aft) with a 90 degree adapter to mount the carb. Larry Vetterman said he could do nothing for me. Has someone else wrestled this alligator?
    Thanks,
    Gene Seiter-slowly building a QB kit

Why won't the Vetterman exhausts fit your one?

Comment

My understanding about vetterman exhaust is that they are designed for the RV series and just happen to fit Bearhawk dynofocal installations well. gseitter, I'm curious about your engine's weight and power.? In part because I'm so happy with a "bob built" 0-360 that I have in my patrol, your set up appeals to me when and if I start a 4-place bearhawk.

Comment

The problem is the B1E sump with the carb. hanging from the back of the sump. That must be where Mr. Vetterman has his crossover. He was sure his system wouldn't work. As far as the weight and power, I understand it to be around 175 horsepower and the weight I'm not sure about. Should be the about same weight as the O 360 Bob built for your patrol. Custom Exhausts in California offered to build me a system based on another Bearhawk with the same engine. $1600 without mufflers and $1800 with. Both with two heat exchangers. Sound about right?

Gene Seiter

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds about right for a custom-made exhaust system. Ours cost somewhere in that region from Vetterman, or just a bit less, for a 6 cylinder standard design.

This is what custom exhaust made for me to fit my IO-360. He may have also made one for Jared.The price was the same.
        Attached Files

Comment

I have wrestled that alligator extensively. I ended up going with a 4 into 1 system, but I'm not convinced that it was worth the expense over 4 straight pipes. My cost was a little bit lower than your quote, but not much. Here is more detail: http://jaredyates.com/bearhawk/?s=Exhausting

Comment

A few weeks ago vetterman said they were confident they could build me a system - bob's o360 with the rear mount carb. I decided to stick with my 4 pipe, with some mods. You might want to call them again.

Comment

Clint is the guy that was handling Vetterman's orders for angle valve engines as of this summer. He also expressed to me that he should be able to make a four pipe system for our setup. If I were to do it again, I would consider that option primarily.

Comment

• Battson
                Battson commented
                Editing a comment
                Clint was great to deal with when I ordered two exhaust sets for shipping to NZ. Very responsive and helpful.

I have a Vetterman exhaust system on an O-360 A1D engine with carb. The crossover is in the front of the sump. It is a nice piece of work. Everything fits like a glove with no pressure to assemble. The exits fit the cowl perfectly. Not sure why they were not interested in building yours.

Comment

It might be because of the angle valve cylinders, or the intake elbow, or the line of cash-holding RV builders at the door. Probably all three!

Comment

It has to do with the angle valved cylinders on Bob's motors, at the time they didn't have a pattern for that set up but Clint mocked one up and is sure he can make it work now. He said he'd have to use 1.5" pipe to squeeze between the #2 and #4 intake tubes but can be done. Don't be afraid of the homemade 4 pipe, if you're not going with mufflers it works well.

Comment

The engine for our build is a Continental IO-360 6 cylinder. The exhaust that came with the engine could not be re-purposed. The engine mount is a bed style & the engine not main stream so we needed a solution. We went with an exhaust system from Experimental Aircraft Exhaust (Fargo N.D.). The process is for the builder to order the mock up kit that comes with fittings, exhaust flanges & instructions. We mocked up the exhaust with PVC pipe fittings then send it to Experimental Aircraft Exhaust to build.

We spent time to make each leg an equal length on all the runs & allowed for 2 mufflers with 2 heat cuffs. Prior to the construction Experimental Aircraft Exhaust called so we were able to discuss the details to ensure a successful build. It took about a month from shipping the mock up to the arrival of the completed exhaust with Christmas in the middle. It is all 321SS with quality craftsmanship & welding that came out exactly as planned. They were always responsive, extremely knowledgeable & quick to return calls. The exhaust was very reasonably priced, fits perfect and looks great.

We have the skills & TIG welder to build our own but would have had to buy a stack of bends and parts. In hindsight we made the right decision as it would have been a real exercise in patience to manufacture the twisted pipes, install the ball joints in the right place. It would have been a high cost risk to make it right with a lot of trial & error to try to come anywhere near the quality that was delivered.

Experimental Aircraft Exhaust would be very competitive to build a 4 cylinder engine exhaust with mufflers and heat cuffs. The Continental exhaust with dual 3 into 1 with 2 mufflers & 2 heat cuffs was about the same cost as the 4 cylinder with mufflers & dual heat cuffs mentioned above. It would be worth talking to Experimental Aircraft Exhaust about your application.

Definitely a company that I would recommend based on our experience. The same shop builds custom header systems for cars under a sister company name so they are equipped for building custom SS exhausts.

Glenn
                    BH727
                    Last edited by Glenn Patterson; 03-11-2014, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X