Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door questions

Throughout my googling of the Bearhawk I seem to think I have seen a few different aircraft that had doors that opened vertically, similar to the Just Aircraft Highlander. I can't seem to locate the ones I saw though. If anyone has any pictures feedback or information I would appreciate it. For those that were skeptical about the door configuration prior to actually flying the aircraft, what is your opinion now? If any of you have installed the vertical hinged doors, how difficult was it? Was it worth it? Thanks, Andy

Robbie Staton's Bearhawk has majorly re-done the doors as a float-plane door (hinged across the top). I don't think he's a contributor on this forum, not sure if he even owns the plane still.... You can see the doors on his machine on the YouTube video:
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Hah... the cameraman at the end, why so serious!

A point of note - to make this design work, you either need a cutout to get past the wing strut, or you need to lift the entire lower door-sill by a few inches (I have seen it done with a wooden spacer, I forget who's plane that was). The trick would be hiding the spacer from view.

For better or worse, I lean slightly towards float-plane doors on the Bearhawk instead of the split door. I haven't made a change yet.
    The split door works great if you like to fly with a window open.
    It can be a nuisance getting in and out with the split door, unless both halves can be locked open or held open for you by someone else. I have window clips but no door clips - yet.
    Last edited by Battson; 12-16-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I made them on my BearHawk , I had to raise the door sill 3". I think they were less work to build. No problem to fly open, handles clip to wing.

Comment

I have spent many years jumping from Cessnas with vertically hinged doors. The front, bottom corner of the door is cut off to clear the strut, with the associated wedge appearing in the door frame. Would the dimensions be receptive to this idea? http://ormondaircraft.com/images/Sal...sna182Door.jpg

Comment

Hopefully this image loads properly....

Comment

The Cessna idea is one I had not considered. Thanks for the pic.

Comment

I also made these type of doors. I didn't raise the bottom of the door but built a flap to clear the strut, seems to work good. At first I just had one latch on the bottom but on the first couple of flights the the bottom front part on the door would get pried open from the air about 1/2 inch so I added a latch to the front part of the door and the problem was solved. I think if you used thicker plexi glass or built up the bottom door frame you can get by with one latch, I think I used .080" plexi/lexan for my doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradrock View Post
                I have spent many years jumping from Cessnas with vertically hinged doors. The front, bottom corner of the door is cut off to clear the strut, with the associated wedge appearing in the door frame. Would the dimensions be receptive to this idea? http://ormondaircraft.com/images/Sal...sna182Door.jpg
                Brad - We have that door on the Cessna - but it won't work on a Bearhawk.
                The Bearhawk strut is further aft, and the cut-out needs to go in the middle of the door.

Bearhawk2015, and Gavin, it would be awesome if you could post some photos of the details of your door designs. If you don't like uploading, send them to me and I'll upload for you jonobattson@gmail.com

Incidentally, thanks for the photos of your skylight Gavin, we followed your lead and it's come out really well! Cheers!

Comment

Thanks Heath for the photos - good looking design right here:

Comment

Comment

• JCD23
                      JCD23 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How do you seal the top of the door? I like what you did here on this.

Thanks Gavin - very informative pictures!!

Comment

• JCD23
                      JCD23 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don’t understand how the top of the door is seals with this design. Any help is much appreciated.

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It looks like there's a piano hinge across the top of the door. That would not leave much of a gap for air, but you could put a thin strip of foam (with tape backing) along the top. My RANS S-6 has a much larger gap, so I have a rubber "D-shaped" strip that is glued to the top of my door frame. When the door closes, the rubber "D" closes the gap and compressed nicely for a tight fit. The only air gaps are at the very front and back, where I cut it just a hair too short.
                      It's maybe 1/8" gap, and I have never noticed any air coming through.

Originally posted by Battson View Post
                    Thanks Gavin - very informative pictures!!
                    X2!!!

Mark J

Comment

Working...
                    X