Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nose rib lengths..drawing 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nose rib lengths..drawing 6

Good day....Got my plans early in week...have master rib template made and now am about to make nose rib template. I am going to attempt the router cut out method with the rib blank sandwiched between two templates, then cut perimeter of rib out as well as lightening holes at same time.. 23 right and 23 left nose ribs are required per plan...but i noticed that some nose ribs have only 1/8 inch spar cap strips in some areas while others are doubled up with 1/4 inch spar cap strips, therefore shortening nose rib by 1/8 inch. I am assuming i am correct with this statement, and i am curious if you guys are cutting the nose ribs to length while cutting out blanks or if you make them all the same size, and trim off after ribs are formed. Thanks in advance. Gary Wallace

Well...i tried a search..great tool...got my answer just like that...thanks to all who responded to the previous posts on same topic... Gary

Comment

Some people do it befor and some after. I did it before. I made my router template full length and then routed those blanks. I then cut off 1/8" and routed the next set of blanks and then took off another 1/8" and routed the remaining blanks. Make sure you make a few extra full length blanks you can use if you mess up one.

This is just my way. there are a lot of ways to do it.
      John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Thank you...i came up with 3 full length, 2 at 1/8" shorter, and the remaining 18 at 1/4" short. I think i am reading the plans correctly...any input...i would like to rout them all to proper length as i cut them out.

Comment

I would recommend you trim all your ribs on assembly because you just don't know what you need yet.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

Gary, I cut mine to length on the router, made the process a bit faster during assembly. Just be sure to do the calculations correctly. Have fun!
            Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              Gary, I cut mine to length on the router, made the process a bit faster during assembly. Just be sure to do the calculations correctly. Have fun!
              I agree with Barry. Since I cut all of the nose ribs to length first, I only had to adjust the one rib that was over the splice. All of the other ribs worked without adjustment. I also made my attach angles around 5/8 instead of 1/2" to give a little more play. Your full length tip rib will set the position of your nose ribs. Dont forget to allow for the thickness of the spar. I also cut my ribs about 1/32" short to give a little play. It worked out great. On the center ribs, I did not account for the thickness of the spar and did have to trim them about 1/32". On the center ribs the alieron and flap attach tubes set the spacing. I found it very easy to touch them up around 1/32" on my stationary disk sander. It would have been harder to take off more. I felt it only took me about 1/2 an hour to adjust the forms to cut the ribs to varying lengths.
              John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

My ribs are full length for now, will trim later. I like keeping my options open.

Have you guys trimmed on the router after your top and bottom flanges are already bent vertical? If that's hairy I'll trim the flange by hand.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

I trimmed all of mine with a pair of snips, it takes maybe 30 seconds per rib.....and the flanges presented no issue for me.

Comment

This helps me out. thanks for all the input....talk soon im sure. gary

Comment

Likewise. Thanks for bringing up the topic!
                      Mark
                      Scratch building Patrol #275
                      Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
                      X