Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blind Rivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Rivets

Where can I find specs on blind rivets, specifically those for the flap and aileron nose skins?

I used the commercial equivalent to Cherry "N" rivets which I could find at my local hardware store. They are steel stem, aluminum body pop rivets with a round head (AD4*** something or another, they are in the shop). The ones I used came in a box of about 500 and were painted white for use on siding. The plans do not specify structural or not. Eric used Ns in his manual. I used stainless steel pop rivets for the last couple rivets on the end gussets since it is extremely difficult to get a bar in there to buck a rivet. The plans also call for SS rivets on the trailing edge.
    Joe
    Scratch-building 4-place #1231
    Almost Wyoming region of Nebraska

Comment

• BAnton
      BAnton commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I ordered some Cherry Ns from Aircraft Spruce.

You also need SS rivets for the lead counterweights in the ailerons.
    Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
    http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

• BAnton
      BAnton commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll look for the SS shortly, Thanks.

Digging up an old thread. I'm hoping I'm going about this right, as there seems to be very little guidance out there on blind rivet specification compared to solid rivets.

Ail nose skin grip = .025 + .020 = .045; spec = "1/8" alum pop rivet". I went with Cherry N BSP-41. The "1" signifies max grip length in 16ths, i.e. 1/16".
    Balance tube grip = .025 +.020 + .035 = .080; spec = "1/8" SS pop rivet". I went with Cherry N CCP-42. P = not dimpled.
    Trailing Edge grip = .025+.025(+.020 at gussets) = .050-.070; spec = "1/8" SS pop rivet". I went with Cherry N CCC-42 which are flush.

Despite blind rivets being idiot proof, are there acceptability standards on shop head appearance? I pulled a couple and the formed bulbs are asymmetric but they hold. Please let me know if I'm missing something! I did flip through the AC and AMA pubs.

Thanks

Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

• Archer39J
      Archer39J commented
      Editing a comment
      Asymmetry on the shop side is fine, it's just how the shank gets deformed as the stud is pulled through.

Thanks. What brand and type rivet did you use? I'm finding that cherry N are not structural.
    Mark
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Being the contrarian, I'm using all aluminum pull rivets: http://spenceraircraft.com/hardware/...0600ad4w2.html

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...-and-aluminum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
        Thanks. What brand and type rivet did you use? I'm finding that cherry N are not structural.
        For the stringers I just used aluminum cherry N rivets, and a couple csks on a nutplate or two I couldn't reach with solid rivet tools. The plans call for CRES rivets (SS) on the formers so I used these, quite expensive though: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s/15-05802.php
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

Sounds like there are many right ways to do it. I'll press on, thanks for the links!
          Mark
          Hood River, OR

Comment

In Post #6 Alaska Bearhawk give a link to Cherry Max rivet. The Cherry Max is a structural rivet, its covered in AC43.13, and I've seen them substitute a solid AN rivet in repairs on certificated aircraft.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

If you search for rivets on McMaster-Carrs web site they will provide shear and tensile strength for the many types of pop rivets they offer. Generally a steel mandrel will have a higher strength than an aluminum mandrel.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

Working...
              X