Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panel Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To clarify my idea of fast: In about a 15-20 min. flight the iPad went from 43% charged to 47% charged with the cig lighter and in about the same amount of time on the Commitlift USB it went from 47% to 63% charged. As soon as the WX clears, again, I’ll verify those numbers but from what little i’ve seen I don’t think anybody would be disappointed in the performance. D.

Comment

We decided that one of the battery backup power packs could be used in the back seat since we won't use the back seat much anyway. I have an Antigravity Microstart for my car and it is very small but powerful. We will just keep it under the back seat for use in powering cell phones, tablets, etc, but it could also be used to jump off the Bearhawk if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl1 View Post
        To clarify my idea of fast: In about a 15-20 min. flight the iPad went from 43% charged to 47% charged with the cig lighter and in about the same amount of time on the Commitlift USB it went from 47% to 63% charged. As soon as the WX clears, again, I’ll verify those numbers but from what little i’ve seen I don’t think anybody would be disappointed in the performance. D.
        As long as it keeps it charged while running that works good enough. That way if you start the flight with a decent charge and then lose electrical it will still have plenty of charge left on it.

Comment

We got the Commitlift USB ports and have put the hole(s) in the panel to mount it. We still have to wire it up but that was the progress for today!

Comment

My interpretation of a modern panel, for a sport plane. Admittedly, I'm a neophyte with the G3X, but I really like it!

Bill
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Bill, that looks great.

Is that the 7" or 10" display? I've been trying to figure out if the 10" would fit on the factory "QB" panel, and it seems pretty tight to me, but if that's the 10" on your panel, it looks like it fits pretty nicely!
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Jim, this is the 10" display. Like you, I was questioning the fit. I printed Garmin's full size template and taped it on the panel. It's about as close as it can be! But, the result is that it looks as if the panel was planned around the display. If it weren't for the internal intercomm, the remote comm and remote transponder, it wouldn't work. Because of those items, the panel is un-crowded, even with the G-5 backup and the autopilot panel. If you haven't figured it out, I'm a bit of a Garmin fan...

Bill

Comment

Very cool. Glad to know it fits. I think I've said it before, but I was 99% sold on Dynon, but last year at OSH I spent a LOT of time playing with both Dynon HDX and G3X Touch displays at their booths, and found I liked (and could remember) the Garmin "logic" better. Now I'm leaning that way...
                    Jim Parker
                    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I went to Osh Kosh to put my hands on all the different options and narrowed it down to Garmin and Dynon. I actually liked the Dynon screen layout a little better. Then I went to some avionics shops who were there and went with the one who actually spent a little time talking with me. He was in favor of Garmin and had a few good points. One was that the Dynon, although priced a bit cheaper than the Garmin, would end up costing about the same once you are done buying all the peripheral stuff that is required but not included, the other was that everything in the G3X is made from the same parts as all their certified avionics where nothing about Dynon is certified. His opinion was that the Garmin stuff is built with higher quality parts. Maybe that was just his sales pitch, but he was willing to install either.

Before I went to Osh Kosh I made a couple paper templates of the panel so I could make sure everything would fit. That was helpful in deciding what would or would not fit.

In the Patrol I could get one 10 inch screen or two 7 inch screens. I would much prefer the bigger screens but there was no way I was going to have an IFR panel without a good backup. I could have gone with a 10" and a tiny backup instrument, but since things seem to fail at the least convenient time for me, I just didn't want to put myself in a position where I might be flying an approach down to minimums on just a crappy little display. I'm pretty sure two 10" screens would fit easily into the 4 place.

As you can see, the Patrol panel fills up quickly. Part of the beauty of the G3X is that you can control the remote mounted radios and transponder and autopilots through the touch screens. A tough part was figuring out where to mount all the remote avionics. The avionics shop suggested behind the panel, but I just couldn't come up with a good way to secure it all up there so I made a radio rack and mounted it to the floor, forward of the stick and the fuel selector. That gave me a good place to mount a cup holder and a map case. Don't know that I'll ever have a map in there but I'm sure it will come in handy for something.

You might notice that the shop didn't install enough circuit breakers, I'm not sure why that is but I added what I needed below the panel on either side.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Rollie VanDorn
                      Findlay, OH
                      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Bill;

Where did you locate the master, avionics master, and light switches at?
                        Brooks Cone
                        Southeast Michigan
                        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Very nice Rollie! I probably don't have as many boxes as you do, but I did mount mine behind the panel. I welded up an aluminum frame, To mount the comm and Xponder. Pics attached.

Brooks, I have 7 switches mounted on the left wing root panel (think Citabria), just forward of the sight gauge. Below, is a picture. Not a really good pic, but a picture none the less. I like the 'rock-rack' switches and couldn't fit em all on the panel, to my liking. My solution was putting the less essential switches upstairs.

Bill
                          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Rollie
                            Rollie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is a nice, neat install. I kept trying to figure something like that but couldn't quite picture it and I really wanted to move on so I went with the simple stack.
                        Working...
                        X